Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cape Parrot Cage Bar Spacing?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Cape Parrot Cage Bar Spacing?

Postby Gracelyn Boothe » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:48 pm

Ok i am looking at some cages but I've been wandering what bar spacing? Some people say 1" is ok but others say 3/4" What is the appropriate bar spacing for a Cape Parrot? Thanks :)
:senegal: :amazon: :gray: :macaw: :redbelly: :gcc: :cockatoo: :sun: :meyers: :monk: :rainbow: :irn: :greycockatiel: :budgie: :swaying:
:danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing: :danicing:
Gracelyn Boothe
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peral Female Cockatiel,
Flight: No

Re: Cape Parrot Cage Bar Spacing?

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:13 pm

3/4 is perfect. Both for how they grip/climb and for safety. 1" is unnacceptable. Not because the spacing itself is too big but because with wear and tear (mounting perches and toys bends bars) and a strong Cape beak, it can become too big and be dangerous. You don't want the max limit bar spacing. You want the just right that leaves some margin for bending. Capes are too playful and destructive to be trusted with anything that isn't foolproof.

Don't be cheap. You are looking at an expensive and difficult bird. Expect to spend around $1000 on cage and close to $2000 with all perches, toys, food, supplies, and tree stand. Then expect to spend $1000 every year on replacement toys. It's about a toy a week with that beak. That is easily $50-$100 a month in toys alone. Definitely don't consider a Cape if this doesn't comfortably fit your budget.

Oh and clipping a Cape's wings is out of the question. I am not for clipping any bird but there are species that handle it worse than others. I have seen how much Truman is a bird of the wing and how clumsy he is that i realize he'd be worst off if clipped. I have seen clipped Capes and it is really really bad. Their heavy beak counterweighs their body and they literally fall off the perch sometimes. Flying saves Truman all the time. He swings off toys and plays fearlessly like a monkey. He hurts himself a lot. It would be far more severe if he couldn't fly.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Gracelyn Boothe » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:44 pm

Ok Thank you! :D Yha i was going to clip my future cape's wings but never mind! But i will put a harness on my bird if i go places :)
Gracelyn Boothe
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Peral Female Cockatiel,
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:34 am

A word of advice about using a harness. If you are planning on using a harness start working on the acclaimating process as soon as you get the bird and then start training the bird to wear it as soon as you gain enough trust to put it on the bird and then put it on the bird regularly even if not taking the bird outside.
My thoughts on clipping a bird. If there is not a valid medical reason to clip a birds wings, don't do it. Almost every major biological system is positively affected by flight and adversely affected by clipping. This means its respiratory system, the heart, the immune system, eyesight and cognitive functions such as learning ability and problem solving. Almost all of the higher brain functions are used in flight and in maneuvering through obstacles courses such as tree branches. A birds body is actually built around two functions with the others being almost secondary and that is flight and reproduction.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41 am

Well, whether he should start with the harness right away would depend on the bird's age, wouldn't it? One doesn't want to stress out a recently rehomed baby more than necessary... But, personally, I would not do anything until after a few months to allow the bird to bond with me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Housing