Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rhode Island Parrot Rescue

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Parrot Rescue

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:44 am

I don't know if I did anything wrong but I only got audio and not video.

Grays would sometimes get red feathers where the previously plucked feathers grow back.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:00 pm

The cage that the last Grey is in really needs to be wire brushed to remove the loose and blistered paint and then be re powder coated or at least taken out for a week and be painted with an epoxy paint to seal the metal away from the bird. The paint if you use the spray on will dry quickly but should be kept away from birds for about 10 days so that it can cure out to be safe for the birds.
I would say that hope either pulled those out or was injured at some time and then some of the feathers grew back red. Sometimes they will always grow back red and sometimes only for a while. I really enjoyed seeing "your birds" at the shelter. Thank you for sharing with us.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:38 pm

Squeaky has gone home. I guess the home to which he went has another GCC, and he really likes the woman who adopted him. I'll miss him, but he needed to have a family ASAP.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 am

YAAAAAYYYYY for Squeaky!!!! :dancing3:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Charlie, the elderly Double Yellow Head went home today! In the video, he is the DYH with the plucking issue.

He is a good bird. He is friendly, talks well, and likes to hold hands. He sleeps a whole lot. Quite an accomplishment in that noise factory.

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:24 am

Oh, that's great! I hope they take him to a vet for thorough exam though because birds that sleep a lot during the day always have medical issues...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:30 pm

I thought it was just due to his age. I know all birds that come in get a full work-up from a vet. I also know that as part of the adoption process you have to establish a relationship with an avian vet.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:33 pm

I know I shouldn't get sad when a bird leaves the rescue. As much as people there love them, they really deserve a home. I just miss some of them when they're gone. Charlie not being there will leave a hole.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:35 pm

Navre wrote:I know I shouldn't get sad when a bird leaves the rescue. As much as people there love them, they really deserve a home. I just miss some of them when they're gone. Charlie not being there will leave a hole.

I don't know why you say this. I am always a little sad when a friend of mine goes away. It doesn't matter how long we have know each other or that the move is beneficial to my friend it still leaves an empty spot for a time. This is normal.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 am

Navre wrote:I know I shouldn't get sad when a bird leaves the rescue. As much as people there love them, they really deserve a home. I just miss some of them when they're gone. Charlie not being there will leave a hole.

You will have a hole when you loose a friend but it is a hole with warm fuzzy edges. Remember that you made a difference in that birds life in the time you had with him. You can give one up to go to a better care in it's own home and know it will have a better life. But that doesn't take away the pain of your loss while he has the excitement of being found by a forever home.
Bless you for being so soft hearted.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic