Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can lorikeets talk

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Can lorikeets talk

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:26 am

I know lorikeets aren't the best talkers and one of mine can mimic my phone I am wondering if the can mimic speech.
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Can lorikeets talk

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:31 am

It is my understanding that they can learn to talk, but it may be harder to understand what they say as the are not as clear as some of the other species when and if they talk. This is based only on what I have read from people who have them, I have no personal experience with them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Can lorikeets talk

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:44 am

I am pretty sure they have the same 'voice apparatus' as the other species of parrots but I doubt they are 'talkers' (most aviary species are not for the simple reason that they don't have that much interest in human beings to begin with).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations