Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel or lovebird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Cockatiel or lovebird?

Postby yaser_a » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:48 am

Hi there, I am new at this forum. I am from Bogota,Colombia. I have always wanted a macaw but here everything is illegal, you can own a budgie,a canary,finches,lovebirds or cockatiels. I am planing to get a bird but I dont know if I should choose a lovebird or a cockatiel. I would be out for school from 6 to 3:00 pm. I am looking for a bird that is cuddly,that can learn tricks and that can be caring with other people. I have heard that lovebirds are agresive but I have also heard cockatiels are independent.If I buy the bird it will have to be an adult and I will tame it because handfed babies are not aveilable. So... should I get a lovebird :swaying: :swaying: :swaying: or a cockatiel :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel:

yaser_a
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 conures
Flight: Yes

Re: Cockatiel or lovebird?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 am

Well, unfortunately, neither species does well on its own for so many hours, and neither is considered cuddly or particularly good at tricks. They are both aviary species and your requirements are of a companion species...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Parrotkeeper02 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby liz » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:08 am

Cockatiels are passive and know that they are prey. They have to loose their fear to bond with you.

Love Birds can be cuddly too but aggressive. When a Lovie wanted to join my cockatiels I let him in the cage. It was not long before he had all the cockatiels up in one corner. They can be bullies to other birds.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:24 am

I own both cockatiels and a lovebird I got my lovebird Rio at 2 years old and wasnt hard to tame at all people say the fischer lovebirds are less aggressive but I dont know if thats true.Hes very sweet and both are good at learning tricks so its not true if anybody tells you theyre not.My cockatiels are also very sweet and cuddly but not all birds are like this.I got both my cockatiels young but have worked with older cockatiels.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 am

My lovebird dosent have a mate and does perfectly fine for so many hours but he has the cockatiels and African grey to talk to so he has company.Would you consider two birds?
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:27 am

liz wrote:Cockatiels are passive and know that they are prey. They have to loose their fear to bond with you.

Love Birds can be cuddly too but aggressive. When a Lovie wanted to join my cockatiels I let him in the cage. It was not long before he had all the cockatiels up in one corner. They can be bullies to other birds.

Ive heard a lot of that when I was researching about lovebirds I saw a lot of that.Rio Dosent bother any of my birds or my Aunts birds when they come to visit and his best friend is a parrotlet they do everything together the parrotlet is one of my Aunts birds.The lovebird Rio was caged with was aggressive even to Rio so they were seperated
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby yaser_a » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks everybody for your replies! But I am stil not sure if I should get a lovebird or a cockatiel :greycockatiel: :swaying:.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Postby yaser_a » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:06 am

I will be out from 6 to 3 pm but my mum is home all day. She can make company to the bird(either lovebird or cockatiel) but she will not interact with it that much because she is not a birdlover.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:28 pm

ParrotsForLife wrote:I own both cockatiels and a lovebird I got my lovebird Rio at 2 years old and wasnt hard to tame at all people say the fischer lovebirds are less aggressive but I dont know if thats true.Hes very sweet and both are good at learning tricks so its not true if anybody tells you theyre not.My cockatiels are also very sweet and cuddly but not all birds are like this.I got both my cockatiels young but have worked with older cockatiels.

Your Rio is not a fischer's, my dear. And you've only had him for, what? a couple of weeks? Same with your tiels, one is a juvenile and the other is maybe going through puberty right now. Birds change as they become sexually mature and as they years go by and they can find no mates of their own. Especially aviary birds!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to General Parrot Care