Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel or lovebird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Cockatiel or lovebird?

Postby yaser_a » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:57 am

Well this are the reasons

Colombia is a very biodiverse country and has many many birds species(macaws,amazons,conures ect) and there is a lot of wildlife trafiking,you can basiclly go to the jungle and get a macaw. This practice is very common so the goverment prohibited people to own this animals because they were going extinct. Also people are not very informed here so they prohibited to have parrots that came from other countries thinking they were Colombian though they are not(african greys,ecletus,cockatoos) but lovebirds,cockatiels and budgies have been breed for a long time in Colombia so they are legal. It is very sad you can not own a parrot like that because if it was legal to breed them people could buy them from a store and the ones in the wild would not go extinct because people dont have the need to go and capture them.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 conures
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:59 am

yaser_a wrote:Well this are the reasons

Colombia is a very biodiverse country and has many many birds species(macaws,amazons,conures ect) and there is a lot of wildlife trafiking,you can basiclly go to the jungle and get a macaw. This practice is very common so the goverment prohibited people to own this animals because they were going extinct. Also people are not very informed here so they prohibited to have parrots that came from other countries thinking they were Colombian though they are not(african greys,ecletus,cockatoos) but lovebirds,cockatiels and budgies have been breed for a long time in Colombia so they are legal. It is very sad you can not own a parrot like that because if it was legal to breed them people could buy them from a store and the ones in the wild would not go extinct because people dont have the need to go and capture them.

Thats silly they must be very dumb to think other birds are from columbia.What about pet shops do they not sell other parrots.I never knew Macaws were from columbia or other parrot species.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:40 am

It's not dumb. Colombian parrots are in danger of extinction (http://faunacolombiana20.blogspot.com/) and imported birds can bring disease to the indigenous ones. Besides, most countries prohibit keeping indigenous wild species in captivity. When you talk about a country like Colombia which has porous borders limiting with other countries that also have parrots, the best solution to protect their own fauna is to ban keeping them. Period.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby yaser_a » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:46 am

Well it is very silly! Actually many of the exotic bird that you can buy in the USA and other countries were originally captured in countries like Colombia,Peru,Ecuador and Brazil,then they were bred and they dont need more froms wich is very good. Also Colombia has currently many problems so nobody cares about legalizing a bird! I still dont know if I should choose a cockatiel or a lovebird :swaying: :swaying: :swaying: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: :greycockatiel: may everyone post their opinions please.

yaser_a
Parrotlet

Postby yaser_a » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:52 am

Thanks for sharing that link about colombian parrots because many people dont know were the parrots they own come from!! The goverment is trying to protect the colombian fauna but many people dont care about it! If I wanted I could easily go an buy a macaw or amazon in the street for like 100 thousend pesos(like 300 dollars) but it is better to preserve our wildlife for our next generations. That is also they reason why I am limiting to lovebirds or cockatiels.
yaser_a
Parrotlet

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Pajarita wrote:It's not dumb. Colombian parrots are in danger of extinction (http://faunacolombiana20.blogspot.com/) and imported birds can bring disease to the indigenous ones. Besides, most countries prohibit keeping indigenous wild species in captivity. When you talk about a country like Colombia which has porous borders limiting with other countries that also have parrots, the best solution to protect their own fauna is to ban keeping them. Period.

I didnt say it was dumb I thought yaser said they thought birds like African greys were from columbia and I said they must be dumb if they think that.Please just read properly before accusing people of things.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Well Cockatiels are more laid back and friendly and are great to own lovebirds on the other hand are very active and more aggressive and normally they need a mate unless your with it all hours of the day.Cockatiels also would need a friend if its alone for quite a while.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:40 am

Well I would probbly choose a cockatiel there more cuddlear but a bit harder to tame and don't get a aviary bird, dont do the mistake I did a year ago I got a Indian ring neck from a aviary it hated me and was un tameable and was really nippy I tried really hard to tame him but use even though I've tamed heaps of birds in the past.
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:51 am

Parrotkeeper02 wrote:Well I would probbly choose a cockatiel there more cuddlear but a bit harder to tame and don't get a aviary bird, dont do the mistake I did a year ago I got a Indian ring neck from a aviary it hated me and was un tameable and was really nippy I tried really hard to tame him but use even though I've tamed heaps of birds in the past.

I dont think cockatiels are hard to tame at all I got both my tiels in a petshop they were in a indoor a aviary type thing with lots if other tiels and budgies and I tamed them very fast.It took 2 days to tame my second tiel and my lovebird was easy to tame to because he was already used to people but lovebirds from the pet shop would be harder than a tiel id say and they bite harder.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby liz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:08 am

Yaser, it sounds like you need to contact a Wildlife Rehab where you are. There are many times they get birds in need that cannot survive in the wild. They don't adopt them out but they do foster them out so that they have the right to check in on you and the bird.
I have some mutilated Cockatiels that came in scared out of their minds. They don't really trust me but they do depend on me. I do not touch them but one by one they are coming around and do not hesitate to touch me.

Shadow, Tammy and Tommy have been with me for a long time. Lola came from a loving home but was not cared for properly. She came without fear and assimilated quickly. I can pick up and play with those.

Check the Wild Life Rehab in your area.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care