Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Cockatiel or lovebird?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Cockatiel or lovebird?

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:26 am

Parrotsforlife I mean because there aviary birds and not use to humans much unlike a pet shop
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:07 am

Let me see if I have gotten the right information for all the answers that you have been given. I think everyone is trying to say that neither lovebirds nor cockatiels are good at talking or at tricks except for some of the most basic ones that do not require them to use objects. So while either might learn a few words you may have to listen quite closely to make it out. For tricks I would say to stay with flying tricks such as simple recall and maybe flying through a ring... that type of thing. Cockatiels are not actually the most cuddly bird but they are more cuddly than most love birds, while lovebirds are more bitey than cockatiels.
So maybe the others can use this post and evaluate these two species in the same manner or at least confirm or not what I just said. Every other thing that they say should be considered as their opinion of the birds of these species that they have or have had. I do not like trying to tell anyone on a forum what bird they should be getting primarily because I don't know enough about that person to do so and feel good about it. I will say that with what you are saying that if it were me I would go with the cockatiel.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:54 am

Yes, I would say go with the cockatiel because, if you are going to get only one at a time, I think that love birds suffer been alone more than they do and tiels are not as bitey as lovies. But, I would never recommend getting only one. It's unkind to the bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:35 am

Two cockatiels are as easy to care for as one. Maybe more so.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:42 am

Also if you get two hand reared cockatiels you wont have to worry about them not bonding to you.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:27 am

Since this post isn't going anywhere I am gonna post some pros and cons on the two species :D

Cockatiel-pros :greycockatiel:
Their good companion birds
Very affectionate
Cuddly
Entertaining
Bite doesn't hurt
Aren't that nippy

Cockatiel-cons
Very dusty like most cockatoos
Will start self plucking if left alone
Provide a verity of perches toys
Not the best at tricks
Whistlers not talkers

Lovebirds-pros :swaying:
Colourful
Small
Entertaining

Lovebird-cons
Nippy
Recommend at least two
Is two birds, they will bond to each other even is hand reared
Less dusty
Not talkers
Not the best at tricks

I've probably left heaps out add to it :D :D
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:43 am

Thank you Parrotkeeper02, I have tried twice to bring this back to something similar to your post, first by my post using my opinion on my parrotlets since I have neither of the species the OP is requesting opinions about and then again with my last post with a comparison of these two species. Anyway I am sure that we have a lot more members with one or both of these species of parrots and they could easily chime in to help this member with their opinion of their bird(s), I just don't know how to get them to post. Come on people, you came here asking for answers, this is also your forum and your answers and participation are needed to make this forum a better place to come and your opinion is just as valuable as anyone else's, speak up and help your fellow member.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:34 am

Well, although there are exceptions, in reality, cockatiels are neither very affectionate nor very cuddly once they have been sexually mature adults for a few years. They like perching on you and might tolerate a few head scritches but that's about it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Rocko loves head scratches I can do it as long as I want Loki lets you do it for about 2 seconds lol I have Rocko nearly a year and he is very sweet I wouldnt consider him cuddly maybe a little affectionate.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby liz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:18 pm

I don't trick train so I don't know how good Cockatiels are at it though some of our members spend enough time with them to train them.

I do know that my cockatiels know when it is 8 am and 4 pm.
They know to run to me when they see a spray bottle.
I like to feed Gimpy by himself so when I put the food in I lift the top of the cage and tell the others to get out. They climb up and fly off.
They learn what I say and what I want them to do but they also learn from each other. Lola was the first one to call me over and whisper secrets. Tommy was next then Jackie then Cagney and it has gone all the way to Flutter. When we moved here Flutter went wild. He is just coming back now with whispers.
They are far from dumb. I think they can do anything a bigger parrot can do but you just have to look and listen close.
I know that some have started to cuddle at my neck. It used to be just Tommy and Shadow.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care