Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fetch

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Fetch

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:24 am

I figured if a parrot could fetch treats it could fetch a ball with holes I it but how do u teach your parrot to fetch
I thought my parrot to wave and a few other parrot wizards tricks
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Fetch

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:06 am

The first thing would be to target train him so that you can get him to move where you want him to go. Then you need to target him to the ball and then to where you want him to take the ball. So is he target trained at all?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:27 am

Wolf that helps now he can do it but he doesn't want to pick up the ball instead he rolls it to me
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:33 am

Continue with what you are doing only add a small cup or plastic bottle lid for him to put the ball in, he may still roll the ball but will have to pick it up to put it in the lid or cup. Another thing that you may try is to have him carry the ball to a higher place to put the ball, this would require an unclipped bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby mylifewithmarmalade » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 am

Possibly try a smaller ball or object first? Marmalade naturally wants to pick up and play with just about anything roughly beak sized, so by catching that behavior with a click, I got him to associate "take it" with picking up something from my hand, and later the table. Then maybe you can use the command to transfer the behavior to something larger and a bit more intimidating. Good luck!
mylifewithmarmalade
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Return to Parrot Trick Training