Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pear Wood. Safe or Deadly Toxic

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Pear Wood. Safe or Deadly Toxic

Postby Chantilly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:59 am

Ok so basicly I have skinned & yet to treat some pear wood for Toys for Tilly and was wondering if it was safe after reading various answers online.
Also this is a pear tree is thorny. (which seems odd.) But it is definatly a pear (the pears are delicious!!)
http://beautyofbirds.com/safewoods.html Most sites (other than this one) say it is safe, but I just want to be 100% certain before I use it..

As you can see in the image bellow I took of the thorns (now they are just stumps) but they were huge! Like really really huge.... and sharp. :shock:
Attachments
image.jpg
the branch I skinned
image.jpg (22.41 KiB) Viewed 9564 times
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Pear Wood. Safe or Deadly Toxic

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:16 am

I recon it would be safe as mall fruit tree wood is safe its pesticide free expect if it's avacado correct me if I am wrong here
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Postby Chantilly » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:27 am

Thankyou! Cool, it definately has'nt been touched by pesticides so it should be good to use :)
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:41 am

As far as I know it is a safe wood. Here is a link the list starts on the second page
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12521
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:40 am

But why have you debarked it? Parrots love peeling the bark off wood... it's part of the fun!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Chantilly » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:37 am

To remove any possibility of mites, Pajarita... I know that thats the way people do it for reptiles to lessen the risk of mites, lice ect:
This is my first time to give Tilly some wood from 'outside' so do you think the bark is fine to be left on? If so I will probably get her another branch and give this to the lizards :D :D
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Postby Chantilly » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:45 am

Cool, Thanks Wolf!
:D It's good just o make sure just in case. :)
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:40 am

OP, yes, it's always best to leave the bark on and not only because they love to peel it but because it also provides excellent traction for their claws while, at the same time, it keeps them trim (kind of like an Emeril board). In order to get rid of mites, all you have to do is bake the branches in your oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes - but Wolf has a different temperature and timing which prevents the wood from cracking or something and I can't remember it right now so I hope he will chime in with it...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:50 am

Actually I did in her other post concerning the pear wood, but it is 350 degrees for 30 minutes, you can go up to an hour if you want and sometimes I do on the thicker pieces of wood. The lower temperature does help to reduce cracking which is important in a hand carved item. Wood generally needs to reach 600 degrees F. before it will combust.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:07 am

Ok, Thankyou Wolf and Pajarita, Ill do that :)
:D :D
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY