Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

DIY Bird Toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: DIY Bird Toys?

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:04 am

I really prefer to use heat as I know that it will kill anything that could harm your bird. Also it is easier to get several different sized and shaped perches and branches off of the main branch by putting them together myself. But then I have the means to drill holes in the larger pieces to fit the smaller pieces in and so forth.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Toggsy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:07 pm

milk bottle and soft drinks bottle tops threaded on a old shoe lace non toxic and best of all free
Toggsy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 34
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks, celestial parrotlets

Budgies ,cockatiel finches, canaries, doves and Chinese Painted Quail
Kept in aviarys

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 am

I would not recommend using plastic items. They chew them and, if they ingest any of the pieces (and it would not be the first or last time this happens), the bird can end up with crop impaction or intestinal occlusion which means death unless surgery is performed opportunely.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Hard plastic is non toxic for birds and yes I agree that for some big birds that can chew them they could be injested. But for smaller and medium birds they can be great toys.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:30 pm

My birds both love puzzle toys and foraging toys and will work away for a long time to get the reward. I make most of them myself but will buy a foraging toy that I think is great too. I often put a new foraging toy in their cages if i have to be out for most of the day and they have "won" their reward when I get back home.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY