Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Advice needed on new avairy

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Advice needed on new avairy

Postby Hennie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi there. I need advies on my new avairy. Its 22ft x 22ft x 8ft. Im planning to keep diffrent kind of birds in it,its all nature plant and trees in. My plan is: bottom feeders mandarin,wood ducks with golden pheasants and quail's. Top feeders im think off, daimond doves,love birds and budgies with pair's(1pair each) of the following rosella's,ring neck's,conure's. Diffrent feeding/water station's and nesting aswell. Any suggestions if some
thing like this will work and what other parrot's will get better along. Thanks
Hennie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Flight: No

Re: Advice needed on new avairy

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:03 pm

Budgies,lovebirds and conures wont get along and the budgies would probably be injured the most.Either will Rosellas and Ringnecks.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:01 am

While I applaud your ambitions, I really think that you need to do a lot more research before you begin to stock your aviary. I would start by researching the habits of these different species of bird in their natural habitat and especially note the distances between their nesting sites as this is where you will encounter the most aggression as they try to protect their nests and their offspring from each other.
Consider that your suggested bird mix is combining birds from wetlands with arid climate birds, birds that make new nests each year with birds that develop permanent nesting areas as well as birds that find new mates each year with birds that bond with each other and mate with only that bird for most if not all of their lives.
I think that you are trying to put too much diversity into too small of an area and this plan may be doomed from inception due to this lack of knowledge. I am still learning, mostly about parrots as that is what I have, and from what little I know and understand about the captive breeding of parrots the space that you have would be great for one or two breeding pairs, provided that you separated it with a space between the two sections so that they can't bite each other through the wire. The exception to this would be with Quaker/ Monk parakeets which build communal nests and assist each other in the rearing of their young.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Toggsy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:41 pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned which is often overlooked is neighbours if you live in built up area are the birds going to be neighbour friendly certain birds can scream so not very neighbour friendly.
You stated that you wanted aa natural planted aviary but certain birds will trash a planted aviary in no time but given the sizes you are quoting have you considered sectioning the flights off into smaller flights.
One species of bird you have listed are diamond doves I keep diamond doves myself and they are a very dainty and delicate bird very rewarding to keep but through personal experience they do better with peaceful finches.
Toggsy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 34
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks, celestial parrotlets

Budgies ,cockatiel finches, canaries, doves and Chinese Painted Quail
Kept in aviarys

Return to Housing