Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Poop-off

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Poop-off

Postby Saber » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:17 pm

Lol....it's so silly and absurd I had to share. A 32oz bottle of poop off at the PetSmart closest to me is 27 frickin dollars and on Amazon is only $12. I get my stuff on Amazon (I love the prime membership) but while I was checking out the bird section I saw the pricing. I actually chuckled out loud.

I've managed retail stores before and played that game so I fully understand overhead and reasons for why pricing is the way it is but that one is a bit steep for me.

Now days the only thing I really buy in stores are things I want in a specific color and when they clearance out things :)
Saber
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey (Scooty)
Flight: Yes

Re: Poop-off

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:37 am

I have Prime and buy lots of stuff in Amazon, too. But I don't use Poop Off.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Saber » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:24 pm

May I ask what you use? If there is something that is more effective I'll definitely consider trying it :)
Saber
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey (Scooty)

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:36 pm

I just use a mix of water and white vinegar for cleaning.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:56 pm

$12 is a great deal, especially if you don't have to pay shipping. The only good thing about those big chain retail pet stores is that when they're going out of business, they sometimes have really inexpensive sales :lol:
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:25 am

Saber wrote:May I ask what you use? If there is something that is more effective I'll definitely consider trying it :)

I use warm water with a squirt of dish soap and a few drops of Clorox. It's highly effective, cheap and the recommended cleaning protocol by the USDA when you have sickness in the birdroom as it kills most pathogens.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby mikella » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:30 am

The drop or two of bleach - is that safe for any surface in cage? Does it need to be rinsed?

I need a recipe for "spot cleaning" - my old birds, their cages were small enough that you could pop them right in the tub to clean.

Spot cleaning meaning no rinse or only light rinse necessary (as in, clean wet cloth to wipe second time).

Water, vinegar, couple drops bleach? The thought of bleach freaks me out. It must need to be rinsed (?)

Also, is dish soap residue a concern if couple drops added? (I use 100% natural source soap)
mikella
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 am

I use white vinegar and water for cleaning and for my bird cages I use a separate bucket of clean water to wipe everything down with after cleaning with the water/ vinegar solution.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:12 pm

People like vinegar because it's completely non-toxic but, in reality, it doesn't disinfect anything. I scrape the poop with either a striping brush (they sell them in hardware stores, they are narrow, have a handle and lots and lots and lots of steel 'bristles' -they are used for striping paint of textured surfaces so they work great on cages with all the little nooks and crannies) or a paint scraper (I do the floors with this) and use a wet sponge to get rid of whatever is leftover.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby DanaandPod » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:04 pm

I use poop off on carpets etc. But use vinegar and water on cages. Vinegar and water is my top house hold cleaner. But is it my imagination...or is it making my wooden perches begin to crack?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Next

Return to Housing