Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Postby Curious Diode » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:28 pm

This post has been overwritten by an open source script.
Last edited by Curious Diode on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curious Diode
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: Green cheek doesn't play with toys?

Postby Chantilly » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Im not sure because my gcc will play with her toys, but not all day. g a little carboard or paper mache Tilly will make a mess whenever possible, so she loved this:
Get a littel paper mache box( you can get these at spotlight) fill it with shredding and putting a small handfull of treats in it, make sure he can see some of them and show him you putting treats in it so as he knows that they are in there. This way he will have to pull out the shredding paper to pick out the treats. He might not use it, or he might be tempted to make a mess with it.
:)
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:56 am

Did he play with toys before? Rambo was 15 when I got him and did not play with toys. He did not know what to do with them until Myrtle taught him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Curious Diode » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:48 am

This post has been overwritten by an open source script.
Last edited by Curious Diode on Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curious Diode
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:58 am

If you want your parrot to play with the toys that you give him then you need to teach it how to play with them because he does not know what they are or what to do with them. You play with the toy in front of him until he demands to have them to play with, let him steal them from you but don't just give them to him.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Yes what Wolf says. Baby GGC will ususally play with all toys. If it is a rescue they may need to be taught. He may suddenly start to play so give him a lot of different kind of toy options.

My daughters Conure and Meyers play a game they invented called who can get the bead. My daughter gives them both a bead but the other parrots bead is better. The Meyers is bigger and stronger but the Conure is so fast he can grab the bead and get away so fast that he often gets the bead. My Meyers has tried to play with them, he loves to do what the other birds are doing and he has got the bead but then he was not happy to chew on it, so he decided it was not the game for him. He gives them a strange look when they play that game now. It is like he is saying, "what is so great about that game" He likes pine slabs any day over beads.

My Meyers has tried every toy the other parrots play with and he tries everything he thinks I play with including my computer and my phone. He only touches them, so it doesnt worry me, although my Red Belly thinks it is great fun to pull my keys right out of my computer.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:37 pm

And those keys are so hard to get to fit back on after being removed by a beak. Sometimes I can get them back on and sometimes not and even when I can get them back on some of them are not ever right afterwards.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:47 pm

I know, right? She can be so sneaky, I dont see her that close and then suddenly there goes a key. I have learned to keep all remotes upside down to keep her from removing the buttons on them.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY