Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:15 pm

That's a punch bowl full of gloop. I need more birds. Maybe I should eat it myself.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 pm

Wolf wrote:Most definitely! Parrots think of meal time as a social event and the perfect time for sharing it is also a bonding activity as they only share with their flock, so the flock sharing meal time and watching over each other during this time helps strenhen their bond.

This is so true. Myrtle was driving me nuts trying to get my food. I had to give her a plate at the end of the table. That is where I put her gloop and chop but there is another plate just for hand outs. If I try to short her on what I share from my plate she will walk over and demand more. She may not know what I have on my plate but if I have it she wants it.
Sweet Rambo waits to be served in his cage.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby flappybird » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:59 am

liz wrote:
Wolf wrote:Most definitely! Parrots think of meal time as a social event and the perfect time for sharing it is also a bonding activity as they only share with their flock, so the flock sharing meal time and watching over each other during this time helps strenhen their bond.

This is so true. Myrtle was driving me nuts trying to get my food. I had to give her a plate at the end of the table. That is where I put her gloop and chop but there is another plate just for hand outs. If I try to short her on what I share from my plate she will walk over and demand more. She may not know what I have on my plate but if I have it she wants it.
Sweet Rambo waits to be served in his cage.

I wish Luna (BH Pionus, she's 10 and I've had her for 6 days) would show any interest in what I'm eating. I'd love to use it as a bonding experience but she doesn't seem to care that much. If I have her on my shoulder while making her breakfast and she sees something she recognizes like the container of blueberries (apparently she LOVES blueberries) she climbs down my shirt to try and get at them. I've read a whole bunch about if you're playing or engaged with something eventually the bird will want it too but that doesn't seem to work on her.
flappybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Headed Pionus

Postby Wolf » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Don't think for an instant that you are not making an impression on your bird by eating in front of it or with it or that watching you play with something doesn't invite her attention to it because these thing have a very real effect on your bird. You just need to be patient and understand that with only having been with you for a few days the bird is still scared of most things and is therefore not acting normally. There may be other factors involved here that are not encountered with the young bird that has never had a home before. These could be as simple as that the bird has never been exposed to sharing a meal or someone showing it how to play with a toy or anything else. You need to figure at least a month for the bird to start feeling more comfortable in its new environment and to begin to act normally.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby flappybird » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Wolf wrote:Don't think for an instant that you are not making an impression on your bird by eating in front of it or with it or that watching you play with something doesn't invite her attention to it because these thing have a very real effect on your bird. You just need to be patient and understand that with only having been with you for a few days the bird is still scared of most things and is therefore not acting normally. There may be other factors involved here that are not encountered with the young bird that has never had a home before. These could be as simple as that the bird has never been exposed to sharing a meal or someone showing it how to play with a toy or anything else. You need to figure at least a month for the bird to start feeling more comfortable in its new environment and to begin to act normally.

I am constantly looking forward to seeing new progress. I feel like we've learned a lot about her already. I'm excited to see what she turns in to a few months down the road.
flappybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Headed Pionus

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:12 am

Parrots are VERY distrustful of new food and it takes A LOT of seeing a new item for them to try it. Just to give you an example, it took me 5 years (FIVE!) of giving them blueberries every week for a gray to try one. But it also has to do with the degree of trust they have in your judgment and whether you have trained them to accept your word as good (I have this little mantra I say to them every single morning when I am serving them breakfast and the birds that have been with me for years and years know that this means the food is safe to eat). Last but not least, it also has to do with timing because if the bird has had protein food available prior the new healthy food you are offering, chances are, it won't try it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:02 pm

My red belly had been given antibiotics 17 years ago when they amputated her toe and I had to give her yougurt to restore her stomach balance. She has always been picky and hard to introduce new foods. I got her to eat broccoli by playing tug of war with her with it. For each piece of broccoli she ate I gave her a little piece of a nut. I hand fed her some and ate with her. So many mornings i ate carrots and broccoli for breakfast. I let her watch me make her meals. Now we make a gloop like mix and I always add a pinch of true cinamon to it and give it to her warm and she is a good eater now, most of the time. This week she likes green beens and carrots the best. But last week it was kale and broccolli. If it isnt warm enough she just looks at it and looks at me. "sigh" My Meyers is a very good eater so far and eats everything. He cant wait for me to be done making meals and flys into the kitchen.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:02 pm

How would I add oat groats into this recipe? Would love just add it in to the hot pilaf?
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 pm

You can add them in any way you like that they will eat it. You can add it into your hot pilaf mixture. I give mine ususally for breakfast when I am making raw oatmeal for myself, so mine are raw and sprouted. So they would then be my base, and I would add all my other veggies sprouted seeds to that and then a pinch of Ceylon cinnamon or turmeric etc. Most parrots love oat groats so it isnt too hard to get them to eat them.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:19 pm

I cook mine till they are a hard 'al dente'. Seagoatdeb is right, they love oat groats and eat them anyway they can... even the canaries get small ones in their seed mix. You can also use steel cut oats, John, and, if you do, you don't have to cook them, just add them to the hot pilaf and they will absorb enough moisture from it to become a bit softer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet