Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Heat lamp

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Heat lamp

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:18 am

You could look online for a heated perch.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:56 pm

What does it mean on those mercola bulbs... When it says only fixtures accepting 120 volts? I don't have the screen in front of me now. Typing by phone. So hopefully you'll know what I'm referring to. Do these bulbs need something special to work them? Thnx
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:22 pm

They won't on 240v systems. You should be fine in the USA
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby marie83 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:56 pm

Ok just wondering what heat mats/pads people are using as I have never found any suitable for birds. I think I would like one though in case the bird isn't using a perch for whatever reason.

I use a ceramic heat lamp (doesn't emit light). I place it over one uncovered corner of our travel cage and cover the rest with several small towels so most of the top and sides are covered. It holds a pretty steady temperature and keeps one side of the cage warm and the other side cool enough to let the bird choose to stay where s/he is most comfortable.

I regularly monitor the temp in several places around the cage to be certain.

I've checked to make sure the bars near the heat lamp aren't hot enough to cause burns too as I was concerned they might get too hot.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:02 pm

My amazon has one of these. She supposedly used it a lot in her foster home, but I never seen her near it.
http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... duct=25479

One of the birds at the rescue, who has no feathers, has one of these.

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/product. ... oduct=4840

He seems to like it. I'm not sure how effective it is.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:42 am

I think that heated perches are a waste of money. I mean, they couldn't possibly produce a whole lot of heat and, in an open area, it would disperse so fast that the benefit to the bird is negligible. I like heating pads at the bottom of the cage with some kind of material draped over the cage so as to 'hold' the heat in (I also put a thermometer next to the roosting perch and tweak the settings in the pad until it keeps it at a good temperature). The only thing that you need to make sure of when getting a heating pad is that it stays on all the time and doesn't turn off by itself after a couple of hours -and, believe it or not, they are not that easy to find anymore! This is the one I got (after my husband got me one that turns off at the local drugstore when I needed one and couldn't find mine anywhere - I had to keep on getting up and turning the stupid thing on all night long!) http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-912- ... 751&sr=1-1
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:10 pm

We had another topic a while back in which we were talking about heating pads, heated perches and the bird heaters just like Navre posted. I had just gotten a heating pad for Marley my naked budgie hen and after looking in three towns near me I finally found a heating pad that did not turn off every 2 hours. I found it at a CVS Pharmacy and posted the brand name and, I think the model number of it. I also had just ordered a heated perch for her, I like the one that Navre posted better than the one I got, and was thinking of also ordering the cage mounted bird heater like he posted. Marley has not used the perch yet, although it does give off a fair amount of heat, I have put my hand on it so I know that it would no burn her little feet, it does give off enough that it should keep her fairly warm. You had asked me to measure the amount of heat that it actually does give off and I will when I buy a suitable thermometer and figure out how to attach it to the perch.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:11 pm

Ah, yes, you are right! I had forgotten about that thread.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:14 pm

I actually have a thermometer I can point at the heater. It should give me a temperature.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Looks like it is 94.5 on the surface of the heater.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Housing