Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Gloop recipe for dummies needed ASAP

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:24 am

I couldn't find the oat groats at Whole Foods, so I added a few cups of the organic rolled oats I had at home.

I actually managed to find Hominy and canned lentils this time! I could not, however, find broccoli that was not florets. Tanya eats broccoli, but won't eat florets.

I managed to find some pure, organic, middle filet, kosher, gluten free, not tested on animals, fair trade, sustainably grown aloe vera juice. (I may have added a few modifiers...I was in whole foods, it happens). I mixed it about half and half in Tanya's water.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:56 am

My Whole Foods stopped carrying the oat groats for a number of months (I made sure I complained about it every single time I went :lol: ) and started again some months ago but they always had steel cut oats only not in the bulk section, just in packages. Look for the black lentils where they have the packaged rices and such, you can add them to the grains to cook (they take the same amount of time) and are more nutritious than the regular ones (the birds also seem to like the round shape much more than the normal flattened one of the regular lentils). Looked for chopped broccoli in your regular supermarket frozen section (my birds would systematically pick the florets and throw them on the floor but they would eat the chopped broccoli without a problem). I've never found it in Whole Foods, either, but you can always put it in the food processor or, if you don't have one, get a manual 'choppers' like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-VeggiChop-H ... d+choppers
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:11 pm

I either buy the frozen chopped broccoli or the whole fresh broccoli and eat the florets myself. Also had some other information for Tanya, I hope that it copied so that I can just paste it but we'll see. Apparently not. So here goes the more abbreviated hand typed version.

Ground flax seed (100g/kg), flax seed oil ( 40g/kg) significantly reduces hepatic fat.
Safflower phospholipids decrease liver triglycerides, serum cholesterol and body weight

The way that it was written in the avian medical book was much longer while this is just the essentials of the information. Hope you can use it.

I don't know if anyone has looked into this but since I worked with horses, I wonder about using oats from the feed store for parrots. As far as I am aware of they are plain whole oats that have just been cracked so that a horse can more easily eat and digest them. Most of them could be sprouted or even planted and they will grow. I used to cook and eat them myself.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:25 pm

Thanks for the information on flax seed oil.

I know that Mysafebirdstore dot com sells whole oat groats. I'd imagine that feed store oats are oats. I used to get by bird seed in 50 lb bags from the grain store. You had to freeze it or weevils would hatch out of it long before you used it.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby marie83 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:05 pm

Pajarita I've discovered my birds don't like the black lentils much lol. It's pretty much the only thing left in the dishes when I take them out. The mice love the leftovers though :lol:
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby DanaandPod » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:40 pm

How come there's no spinach in this recipe? Is it because of the iron?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Yes, that is why. Spinach is good for them but only in small amounts that are not give very often, like maybe once a month.

Yeah, Navre, I did not think about the volume that the feed store would sell them in, which I know to be 50 or 100 lb. sacks. I would suggest a seed store that might have oat seeds for planting, but am not certain that they would not be treated with something to help them grow or to try to protect them until they germinate and start growing. I can't think what that might be but it is still in my thoughts. So maybe the health food store is the best option.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:21 am

DanaandPod wrote:How come there's no spinach in this recipe? Is it because of the iron?

Not only iron but also very high in oxalates which inhibit calcium absorption -and calcium is always an issue with captive birds because they are not exposed to direct sunlight daily. I never, ever, feed spinach, collard greens or parsley to my birds and I am very careful with other greens like Swiss Chard, for example.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:29 am

I don't like to buy anything in feed stores because everything in it is feed grade and not human. And this doesn't only mean a smaller size or irregular shape -which are of no consequence whatsoever- but also in specifications like protein and aflatoxin. Human grade is not only of a higher quality but also a healthier one. Besides, I like to buy organic as much as I can and they never carry organic anything. Check in large supermarkets, Navre. You can look online or call them on the phone and ask them if they carry a specific product (like this one: http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-whol ... roats.html). Because in the last few months, my supermarket started carrying more packaged grain products than ever before and I now could, in a pinch, get almost all the ingredients for gloop in it - and organic, too!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 pm

I get my oat groats at a wholesale raw food place in Canada, but most health food stores should carry them. Spinach, beet greens and swiss chard should be used sparyingly, but Collards are much lower in Oxalate. I dont feed whole wheat, or grains that contain oxalates often, so my parrots arent getting daily oxalate from that, so I can use and rotate more greens.

Here is a chart of how much Oxalate is in foods.
http://www.childrensdayton.org/cms/reso ... d_diet.pdf
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet