Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Julian's Aviry

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Re: Julian's Aviry

Postby Wolf » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:12 pm

Since it said it was aviary mesh, hopefully it is stainless steel and that is the first thing I would check on, because if it is stainless steel then it will not need to be painted.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby JessiMuse » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Gosh darn it! I meant to say without a harness! How did I miss that?

I took my cockatiel out with me without a harness (I don't have one yet). I thought holding onto her foot was good enough to keep her in place, but apparently not. She got startled, flew into the neighbor's yard, then flew to the top of another neighbor's tree.

I was lucky enough to get her back four days later, when someone responded to managed to catch her responded to my Craigslist ad. She's happy and healthy with me again, but I'm. It taking her out again without a harness, or if I'm putting her in an aviary.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 pm

I thought you meant to say without lol I was thinking whats wrong with using a harness.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby JessiMuse » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 am

You kidding? I love the idea of a harness. :D Would make neighborhood walks pretty interesting, holding the leash connected to my dog's harness, and my bird's.

I'm hoping that one pet shop in my town still sells aviators. Last time I was there, they were on sale, and they only had two sizes left: XL, and XXL. I've been checking their website frequently since, hoping to see any mention of it going on sale again, but nothing mentioning it being in stock shows up. I could go and check for myself, but it's on the other side of town, and well... I can't drive yet, and I barely know my way around the side of town I live on. :lol: I'm still learning.
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 am

I've done that, when his cage was outside, i would hold onto his feet and cover his back a little. 90% of the time was fine no problems, but once he got out of my grip and flew directly back to his cagetop, so I just asked him to step up and took him inside more quickly XD haha. Thank the lords it was easy and he didn't go far. Soooo glad to hear you got her back safely. That is a miracle!
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus

Postby liz » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:33 am

4 days with your baby outside. That is so awful.
When the wind kicked up and sucked Myrtle off my shoulder while I stood in the doorway she was thrown around and grabbed the tip of my neighbors big tree and started screaming "MA". She was there about 3 hours but felt like 3 days. The wind was so bad she was afraid to let go of her twig and come down.
A miracle happened. A young man, that I did not even know lived in my neighborhood, kept walking passed then stopped and asked if we needed help. Everyone answered at one time "can you climb". He pulled off his shoes and thought he was going for a cat. He had never had contact with a bird before but she was so pitiful that he went anyway. She was so far out that he had to spread his weight on more than one branch and could only reach within 3 inches of her. When there was a break in her screaming I told her he was okay and to go to him. When the wind calmed down a little she inched her way to his finger and crawled up his arm. That man was my knight in shining armor. I had $40 in my pocket and gave it to him. He told me where he lived and the next time I saw his father I told him how wonderful his son was.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby JessiMuse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:14 pm

Well if you counted the morning I lost her, it could count for five days (lost her on a Wednesday, got her back the following Sunday). But the person who found her kept her for two days. I'm honestly glad too, because it rained at some point. That wouldn't have been as much of a problem if it were the summer, but because it's the winter, it got a lot colder right after it rained. If she were to get caught in the rain, I think the following drop in temperature would have killed her.
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:14 pm

omg, liz, poor thing, super adorable. When ever I go out with Julian on his harness, i'm encouraging him to fly around a little, and not stick to me like shit to a blanket, so that if something like this happens he won't be terrified. Though I don't want him to get too comfortable to want to explore and not want mummy to come get him.

Oh, jessi, five whole days without your baby, that must have been agony. I freak the fek out when my cats take an extra five minuets to come home for dinner! (this might be because one time my boy came home, limped in the door and didn't want dinner, turns out he had broken ribs and a hole in his lung. Some ass-hole kicked him, I believe) I can't imagine not knowing where they are for that long.

My little boy budgie, Chipper, flew away when i about 15. It was dreadful. never got him back :(
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus

Postby JessiMuse » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:49 pm

It was agony alright. I was desperate to get her back. I posted on Craigslist (both in the pet section, and the lost and found section), four Facebook groups, three lost pet websites, and asked neighbors to spread the word. When it rained on the Friday night during the week I lost her, I felt like giving up. My parents gave up before I did completely, and got me Alex, my younger cockatiel. It wasn't until the next morning after we got Alex, that we got a call from the woman who found her.

How is Julian doing now? Still enjoying his aviary?
JessiMuse
Conure

Previous

Return to Housing