Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:03 am

Yes, usually, the most likely scenario is what ends up been the problem -in this case, bacterial infection. She'll be just fine with the antibiotic.

The concern about bacteria growing on wet food left outside is common. Personally, I think it's bunk. For one thing, if this bacteria was so bad, the human race would have died off thousands of years ago as refrigerators are, historically speaking, something that was invented yesterday. I mean, the reason why spices were so appreciated in medieval times was because they masked the flavor of meat that had began to go bad! For another, birds in the wild are exposed to all kinds of bacteria all the time -even the bacteria that causes rotting (a process that people associate with yuckiness but which, in reality, at the beginning, is nothing but fermentation (which is a VERY good thing precisely because of all the good bacteria it creates!). So much so that there are parrots that choose fruit that is already rotten on purpose (the 'drunk' parrots of Australia). Bacteria has become a synonym of something bad but not all bacteria is bad and, even bad bacteria is necessary for a healthy immune system.

Personally speaking, I've been feeding gloop for 20 years and have never had a single bird come down with a fungal infection and very, very few with a bacterial one -and then, even these bacterial ones couldn't have been caused by the gloop because, if that was the case, all the birds would have come down with it at the same time (food poisoning) and not just an isolated case once in a blue moon.

I would think that Ocean's problem is extra stress due to Tanya's joining the household...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Pajarita wrote:

I would think that Ocean's problem is extra stress due to Tanya's joining the household...

That's certainly a possibility.

While she's on the meds, and has an infection, I'll be pulling the gloop after 3 or 4 hours. Today I replaced it with fresh fruit, which I'll leave in for 3 or 4 hours.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:19 pm

It's hard keeping the birds on a solar schedule when one of them needs meds every 12 hours.

I had been doing sunrise and sunset, but I need strong light to get the right dosage in her, and tonight, traffic was bad, and I got home well after sunset.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 am

Yes, I had the same problem when one of my canaries got sick last winter but what I did was leave the cage near the door (they are in what is supposed to be a mud room but it's now the canary room), got the syringe ready with the meds and held it in my mouth, open the door, grab him by shining a flashlight down on the floor next to his cage (that's why I had to put the syringe in my mouth, because I needed one hand for the flashlight and one to grab him), quickly bring him outside, give him the meds and quickly put him back on his perch by, again, shining the light on the floor (so he would not freak out and flap all over the place preventing him from finding his roosting perch in the dark. Once I saw he was perching, I closed the door. It didn't really take very long and it seemed to have worked.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Tanya already had an appointment scheduled for the first. I was able to add Ocean to the appointment. It's a bit early for her recheck, but I figured it's close enough.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:06 pm

Took the birds in today for blood work.

Ocean still had low blood sugar. She got fluids and a gavage feeding. They think she had an avian gastric yeast condition and probably always has. Perhaps the stress of the new bird made the yeast bloom more and made it easier for infection. She'll be getting treatment for the yeast for the next 30-60 days and we are continuing the antibiotic until the WBC is normal.

Tanya is up to 250 grams, the vet said that the looks better and seems happier. We are waiting for cholesterol numbers back to see if the cholesterol med is working.
Tanya looked like she might have had a nasal discharge, so she flushed her with saline. The saline came out clear so we figure it was just gunk because of the way she eats her gloop. It gets all over her face.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:56 pm

Are you using raw unpasteurized apple cider vinegar for Ocean's yeast infection? One of the usual treatments, at least in humans, for yeast infections would be to cut back on foods containing sugars, but with Ocean's low blood sugar, that does not sound like an option. But the vinegar should help provided that the vet doesn't disagree with it, of course.

I am happy to hear that Tanya is improving.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:55 am

Wolf wrote:Are you using raw unpasteurized apple cider vinegar for Ocean's yeast infection?

They gave me Amphotericin for the avian gastric yeast.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 am

Your local pharmacy should be able to tell you if there is any interactions between the drug and the vinegar, good or bad. I only mentioned the vinegar as I know that it is a safe way to treat yeast infections.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 am

There is no problem giving the ACV and the antifungal. And it is stress, John. A depressed immune system is the only way a parrot gets a fungal infection. You might want to keep Ocean in a different room and spend more time with her. But why did they gavage? Has she lost a lot of weight? Gavage is so stressful to them...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions