Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

training

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

training

Postby jd57 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:46 am

Hi everyone, I been trying to find an answer I have been doing some reading but nothing. what i like to know before before I give the treats do I have to remove the food and leave only the water, if so for how long do I take the food for. someone can you please explain the procedure?
jd57
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: yellow fronted amazon
Flight: Yes

Re: training

Postby liz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:08 am

Welcome to the forum. Do not take the food away. Their treats are like giving a kid a piece of candy as a reward. That kid does not need to be hungry to want the candy. Since he does not have to search for food his energy can be used to play and learn.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: training

Postby Wolf » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:05 am

Actually, I have started to answer this question twice and deleted my answer both times. The reason lies in trying to answer the procedure portion of your question, I was not satisfied with my answer. As a general rule there is no reason to remove any of your birds food in order to give it a treat. There are no set procedures to giving treats to your bird.

I think that you may be having some sort of problem in relation to treats and probably in conjunction with training your bird. I would guess that the bird is refusing the treats that you are offering while you are attempting to work on training your bird. But I don't know the exact nature of your issue which makes it difficult to give you any beneficial suggestions on how to proceed.

If your bird is not accepting the treats that you are offering the problem could be what you are offering as a treat, such as the treat not being enough of a high value of a food or even that it does not recognize the treat as food. It could be a matter of what the birds daily diet consists of, which may be devalueing the treat. The problem could be in your timing of the training sessions, resulting in the bird not being hungry at that time.

I have always kept food in my birds food dish except for while the bird is sleeping at night and have never had any issue with my birds accepting treats when I offer them. If you will describe to us the problem that you are experiencing, we can offer more accurate suggestions to you to eliminate the problem.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Parrot Trick Training