Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bottle vs. bowl

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Bottle vs. bowl

Postby Chantilly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:31 am

Wolf wrote:Usually not many parasites found in rain water especially if you let the rain rinse things off first, same with chemicals as long as it rains for 15 to twenty minutes before you collect which gives it time to rinse off surfaces as well as to clear out most airborne pollutants.

Ground water is a different ball game. Water filters are the best way to deal with this type of water. My water comes from a spring that fills a 1000 gallon tank with an overflow outlet so the water is kept fresh. I installed filters in the house that I change out now and then I originally put the filter in because the cats and dogs were getting kidney stones and then the filter ended that, but I inspected the water system and found that the spring water was feeding into an old very small concrete cistern that was falling apart. This was the source of the stones, so I replaced the entire water system with new waterlines from the spring to the brand new sealed 1000 gallon water tank and then the lines from the tank to the pump and then I replumbed the entire house up to the water filters. I have not had I problem since although I get the water tested every now and then.

The main thing with hauling your own water in a tank is to sanitize the tank each time before refilling it. This will reduce the chances of any biological contamination. I would use ordinary household bleach provided it does not have and added scents or stuff and then allow the tank to dry. Any remaining bleach will dissipate in a few hours after filling.

Thankyou Wolf :thumbsup:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:29 am

Thank you!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:51 pm

I only use stainless steel bowls for food and water. My water is a flltered and remineralized water and change their water twice a day.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby skeleo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:02 am

Pajarita wrote:Stainless steel bowls, no doubt about it!

Why are stainless steel bowls better than plastic bowls?
skeleo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:22 am

Stainless steel is not porous and I know that it does not appear to the naked eye but many plastics that are used for food is porous and that means that it can harbor bacteria despite our best efforts. There are still plastics in use that have harmful chemicals in the plastic from the manufacturing process and there are not the same regulations forbidding them when the product is intended for use with animals as are now in place with things intended for human use. These are my reasons and others will have their own reasons to share with you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:41 pm

I do bowl for their dunking pellets. And a dispenser for a clean drink. As for bathing, all of them only desire once a week which i provide out of cage by bowl or shower.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby liz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:47 am

In the Philippines we could not drink the water and hauled it from a filtered system on the base.

I was told not to bathe in the local water unless I added a tablespoon of bleach to each gallon and let it sit overnight. I had 2 five gallon containers for my bath water. I learned to take a bath in 10 gallons. (I was pregnant with complications and was growing boils from the local water.)

I just reread my post. What I was trying to say was that the bleach disapates over night.

For Newbies, I never could spell and still don't. At my age you are suppose to guess what I mean. :lol:
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY