Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Navre » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:47 am

I'm taking both birds to the vet on Tuesday. Here's hoping the the amino acids have helped lower Tanya's cholesterol.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:03 pm

After 5 or 6 weeks on the amino acids, the vet said that Tanya's new feathers looked spectacular, her beak is better, her posture is better, and the limpomas have started to shrink. We measured a few so we could track how much they are shrinking. I expect cholesterol results tomorrow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:08 pm

Sounds good so far, hoping for more good news on the cholesterol, please update us with the results for both birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:45 am

Ocean was totally fine. She did another gram stain, but she is asymptomatic. She's doing well and flying all over the place, tormenting my son.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:49 am

I was concerned as the last time Ocean's blood sugar was low and she had lost weight, so was just checking on that. Thanks.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:21 am

Navre wrote:I'm taking both birds to the vet on Tuesday. Here's hoping the the amino acids have helped lower Tanya's cholesterol.

I might have missed something but I went back and I still did not find anything on supplementing her with amino acids and which ones were - can you please elaborate? I am always very interested in anything that works with a bad liver (my birds get SamE and a bit of cysteine at the beginning of the treatment but I switch to plain methionine for maintenance so I would love to find out about other amino acids that might help).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:55 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:I'm taking both birds to the vet on Tuesday. Here's hoping the the amino acids have helped lower Tanya's cholesterol.

I might have missed something but I went back and I still did not find anything on supplementing her with amino acids and which ones were - can you please elaborate? I am always very interested in anything that works with a bad liver (my birds get SamE and a bit of cysteine at the beginning of the treatment but I switch to plain methionine for maintenance so I would love to find out about other amino acids that might help).

I have been giving her L-Carnitine. I guess it has been shown to reduce the size of lipomas in parakeets. It seems like a super low dose, to me. I take 1 gram do L- Carnitine and mix with 60 ML of water. I sprinkle this over 1 kilogram of her pellets. I then dry the pellets in the oven at 200 degrees for 45 minutes.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:20 am

Ah, yes, L carnitine is a common supplement in animal feed. It's supposed to 'make energy' (that's why it's a common supplement for body builders) by increasing fat 'burning' at cellular levels. I don't use it because the body makes it itself from methionine and Lysine (the former I supplement and the latter is plentifully found in the grain/pulse combination of the gloop). The dosage is OK (humans take between 1 and 3 gr a day) but, if I were you, I would make sure the water I use is HP neutral or acidic (alkaline would degrade it rapidly) and stop using the oven to dry the pellets because although is heat stable at room temperatures, high temperatures degrade it. Could you allow the pellets to dry naturally?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:44 am

Perhaps using a fan to air dry the pallets would work.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:37 am

I will try air drying. Her cholesterol was reduced, but not a whole lot. Since she looks better and the lipomas are shrinking, I'm going to continue the this amino acid.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions