Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Hello from Boston

New to the parrot forum? Introduce yourself and your flock to us.

Re: Hello from Boston

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am

Why don't you try supplementing her with SamE, also? It's expensive and a pain in the neck to supplement because you have to make them ingest it as soon as possible after crushing it and you cannot really wet it but it's a fabulous supplement for birds with liver and cholesterol issues.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Pajarita wrote:Why don't you try supplementing her with SamE, also? It's expensive and a pain in the neck to supplement because you have to make them ingest it as soon as possible after crushing it and you cannot really wet it but it's a fabulous supplement for birds with liver and cholesterol issues.

I suppose I'd have to figure out a dosage. She is 270 grams.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:50 pm

Well, the human daily dosage for liver damage is 800 to 1000 mg so, if one went by this and used the higher dosage -you always lose some when you crush and administer- a 270 gr bird would require 4 mg BUT dogs use higher dosages per weight than humans (I don't really know why but it's the same with other arthritis supplements -SAMe is good for many, many things: arthritis, heart conditions, liver and even the cognitive disorder that people call doggie Alzheimer (I give it to three of my dogs, too). Now the problem with SAMe is that is its instability so it's recommended that is given 1 hour prior food intake, that you don't crush the tablet and mix it with water, that you throw away the portion you don't use, etc. But, when I have new birds, I give it to all of them sprinkled on top of the gloop because giving it just to the new ones in their beak while giving methionine to the others is simply 100% impractical so I use a higher dosage to kind of balance out the normal degradation that occurs as it's mixed with food (I use part of one tablet for them and the other part split between three dogs, one with advanced doggie Alzheimer, another with liver malfunction due to old age and the other with epilepsy -the phenobarbital she takes affects the liver so I use it along with milk thistle and vit B6 to protect it and, so far it's working because her last bile acids still show normal function even though she is 17+ and has been taking pheno for over 10 years.

I know there is a liquid form of it so you might want to get that one and I would also ask your vet for a good dosage for her. I swear by SAMe - it has done wonders on my dogs!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:01 am

I will check into the SamE.

I have been giving Tanya her milk thistle by putting drops in her water and drops on her gloop. I stopped giving it to her directly when I was giving her other meds. I felt that I was grabbing her and syringe dosing her too many times in a day. Now that she is getting no meds my syringe, I suppose I could go back to giving her the milk thistle by syringe, but it seems nicer to give it to her on her food and in her water. I'm just never sure that she is getting enough.

She gets 8 drops in her water, and 8 drops over her gloop.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:10 am

I only give it in the gloop, but could you not give Tanya a very small portion of gloop with the milk thistle on it and let her eat that and then give her the rest of it?
When you have a bird that needs several different meds that you could give in a syringe, I would speak to the vet and see if the dosages and times could be adjusted so that they could be given together in the syringe which would mean less handling and work.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:14 am

I use a dropperful (it's actually half of it but what the dropper 'sucks' on its own when you squeeze the rubber thingie all the way) in 4 or 5 oz of water. It's much more than you give but they don't drink THAT much when they eat fresh food and, as I've never had a single problem in terms of side effects, I figured I'd play it safe and make sure they get enough. I don't like giving anything in the beak because I always think that the stress one causes the bird would inevitably end up delaying the healing process so I avoid it as much as possible and only do it if there is no other choice (as in the case of pain killer, for example)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:19 am

I have read so many stories about people who give their parrots fruit juices in an eye dropper or syringe that claim the bird readily drinks from them and even when giving them meds this way all they have to do is offer the end of the syringe and the bird goes for it on its own, Just saying.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:48 am

For the amount of water in her dish, I think the recommended dosage is 4 drops. I'm putting in 8 to 10. I don't think she drinks that much water. I guess we are thinking the same way.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:49 am

Yes, that's true. But you need to get the bird used to getting it all the time and I have to admit that I have never done it. I usually do not have a problem giving the hand-fed anything in a syringe because they remember that good food comes from it but as I have several with liver damage but not all (two of them wild-caughts that don't take the syringe willingly), I never took the time to get them all used to feeding out of syringes on a daily basis. But it's a good idea when you have one or two birds!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:50 am

Wolf wrote:I have read so many stories about people who give their parrots fruit juices in an eye dropper or syringe that claim the bird readily drinks from them and even when giving them meds this way all they have to do is offer the end of the syringe and the bird goes for it on its own, Just saying.

She used to readily accept the milk thistle from the dropper, but since I stopped, she doesn't really want to go back to it.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions