Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Navre and Friends in Boston

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:41 am

As mentioned here is the new topic and the link back to the original in the Introductions section.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12784

I just checked to be certain that both links are working and they appear to be working. Thanks everyone.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Navre and Friends in Boston

Postby Navre » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:23 am

Thanks, Wolf

Tanya. 26-year-old Hispaniolian Amazon (f)

Ocean. 2-year-old Turquoise Green Cheek Conure (f)
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:36 am

Awww, they are looking great, John!!!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:12 pm

Does your camera make all birds look like they are the same size ? :lol: :danicing: :lol:
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:44 pm

I noticed, on Saturday, that Tanya did not have any poop in her cage. She does tend to hold it, so I picked her up, which usually results in her going. Still nothing.

I gave her a bath, and she still didn't poop. She looked like she was eating, but she was just moving vegetables from the bowl to other places. Nothing was really disappearing. She also kept trying to fly, like she was in pain, or uncomfortable. This is the first time she has seemed in pain, or scared, By noon she still hadn't pooped, and she seemed listless, so we went off to the emergency room.

She was admitted yesterday afternoon. I thought she might be egg bound, but they said that she was not. Her regular doctor was not in, so she had an exotics vet last night and a different avian vet today. The estimate is for a 3 day stay, blood work, x-rays, isoflourine anesthesia, tube feeding, SQ fluids. They seemed pretty concerned and asked, given her condition, what I wanted them to do if her heart stopped. They seem pretty concerned.

The morning update from Doctor Noonan: Tanya is bright and alert, but still not showing any interest in eating. Despite gavage feedings, her weight is down slightly from yesterday. Further updates will be made when lab results are available.

I can go visit her at 6pm. I can't really make a decision on what to do until I know what is wrong. She has been on a new med for 9 days (Lipitor), so it may be related to that.

I can't worry about the money (We are already over $1000), that's why God invented credit cards. I won't give up on her, but I don't want to put her through a ton of stuff if it is going to happen again in a month, anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Navre » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:19 pm

https://youtu.be/WcE8B6NuFj4

She seems a lot worse today. She feels weak. She does have some sort of infection.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:45 pm

I am so sorry to here of this turn of events, for me, it is heartbreaking at best.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:30 am

It is an awful feeling to not be able to kiss it and make it better. I am so sorry.

My first thought was bowel blockage. I had a little ferret that was doing the same thing. The vet gave me anti biotics not knowing what was wrong with her. I was afraid she would dehydrate so my aunt became her nurse and kept giving her water with a dropper. Water without food causes diaria. She pooped out something green and rubbery which I had no idea where she got it. She took awhile to get her energy back but she recovered even though the vet did not know what it was.

My body does some strange things. I was sent home after a surgery. It only took one day before I was not able to swallow anything. There just did not seem to be room for a bite of food or water. I was listless because no new food was going in. I only say this so you can understand how she feels at this point. I just wanted to sleep.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Navre » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:30 am

Morning update from Doctor Pierson: Tanya is stable, still not eating. Will continue with tube feeding and supportive care for the day. Avian team will be back tomorrow morning.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:04 pm

This is a terrible turn in events, please keep us posted on her condition.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to General Parrot Care