Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need help from you guys

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Need help from you guys

Postby flychomperfly » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 am

I'm here because i need help from people who know the truth about flighted pet parrots and indoor flight.

one of the worst videos i've seen in YEARS about flight in home is on youtube. it is the epitome of what is horrible about humans...and what's even worse, it's a YOUNG person!!! *cry*

I saw this early--about when she first posted it. at the time, i told my friend it could be a big video and a potentially big influence on other people--esp since she's a young person. sure enough...the video now has well over 100,000 views -- more views than many of the popular freeflight videos!

It was so painful to watch again, but i had to document it...plus, i wasn't sure if i was being overly sensitive last time i saw it, and that it wouldn't seem as bad this time. *cough* well...it was at least as bad as i remembered--maybe worse. *sigh*

the biggest prob is that it's not as if she had one or two things wrong with what she said... EVERYTHING that comes out of her mouth is twisted and wrong. i couldn't figure out how to dispute her without being buried under a mound of falsehoods by her and/or her 'fans.' she uses all the urban legends and her own prejudices to support her stance, and will invent things if there isn't a handy existing one. she needs an army of people to dispute enough of her points--and esp to convince others who see it how incredibly wrong she is.

The following are all the quotes from the video. the parts in quotes are verbatim phrases that she uttered during her running monlogue in the video. no, i'm not making this up or exaggerating. see for yourself--it's a very painful experience to watch this video...

quaker parrot - 2.5 months old
"He's basically a fledgling"..."He knows how to fly really good now"
-----------
huh??? you just contradicted yourself.
-----------

"he just flies all over the place, but, I'm just worried that he's gonna get injured."
-------------
and you base this 'worry' on what?
-------------

"he flies into the walls"
-------------
maybe...but i didn't see him do that--he seemed to be doing pretty good to me. and, little kids run into walls and furniture, yet we don't chain them down!
-------------

"he flies EVERYWHERE"
----------------
oh, how terrible *puke* he's a BIRD -- what would you expect him to do?
----------------

"I can't really control him when he's in the air."
-------------------
so, then LEARN!!! train the bird like you would train a pet dog--or would you put a dog into a cage and chain him there?
-------------------

"[flight] just doesn't work when you're in a house--it's not safe for them"
--------------
says who??? where's your evidence? you are incompetent, so you punish the bird.
--------------

"so that they know they can fly"..."and so that they don't revert back to the baby stage 'cause that can happen if you clip them too young"
--------------
i've never even heard that rumor...but at least she thinks she shouldn't clip too young. even so, her 2.5 month old bird obviously hasn't fledged yet (you can see from the video), and now she's telling everyone else it's okay to clip at 2.5 months.
--------------

"we're going to teach him that he can't fly anymore"
-----------------
EEEK!!! she is clearing PUNISHING the bird by clipping him. :( (oh, yah...she sounds sooo depressed about it too)
-----------------

"I'm not a professional"
--------------
no you aren't, and you're NOT even knowledgeable!!!
--------------

the bird flies up to the top of the patio door blinds -- may have bumped a bit when trying to land up there, but hardly any sound--the bird is getting used to maneuvering--just learning to fly. that's all...

"you can't go up there...that's dangerous!"
--------------
what??? that's a fave hangout of many flighted birds...where's the danger? does she think he's going to fall off or something?
--------------

the bird flies a few places around--prob having fun, but...
* there's no extra perches for him to land on where she can reach him
* she doesn't have him stick-trained -- she doesn't even try to use a stick
* she doesn't call to him, or try to call him to her...so she obviously hasn't even tried to recall train him
* she's too lazy to train the bird...and now since he didn't figure out on his own how to come to her without training, she is going to punish him by clipping *ack!*

"And, he flies to me; your wings are gone, buddy."
-----------------
excuse me?? he flies to you on his own and you don't even appreciate that??? you reward him by clipping him? i don't see him running away or hard to catch--so, what's your problem??? this should NEVER be on youtube. if it was obvious that she is totally crazy and uninformed, that would be fine. but, she insists she is well-meaning, and people actually believe her!
-----------------

"I can't even enjoy him without him flying all over"
----------------
whaaat??? this one "takes the cake." how do YOU define "enjoy"'??? ouch!!
----------------

she clips the wings and says, "No more flying into stuff." but the first thing the bird does is to knock into the cabinet because he couldn't get enough height...and then he lands on top of the cabinet--where there's a ton of things for him to get into.

she then says she needs to trim the wings even more "to make sure he can't hit anything." this is a joke, right? she's killing me.

but, now, she doesn't want to trim the wings too much because SHE'S GOT CATS! *cryyyy!!*

she said she's used to doing this on smaller birds, so she's got a clipper mentality in the first place.

at least she is totally honest and totally revealing about how ignorant and cruel she is when you hear her running dialogue.

WOW...THIS VIDEO DOES SO MUCH DAMAGE TO THE PET BIRD IMAGE! we aren't like this...and we have to stop her from creating followers who she will suck into believing her.

the viewer comments also show how much damage she's done. while we have made progress toward flight with birds, she is taking us BACKWARDS via this one video. :( usually, the neg comments outweigh the positives on wing-clipping videos by a margin of about 3-to-1, but this video is at least half, if not 2/3 in favor of clipping. but the worst is all the people who seem to be influenced--that what she is saying and showing is accurate. here are some examples of what her viewers are saying...

===================
===================
adriana202225 days ago
Cute video; perhaps needs more training just like my conure. Now to the imbeciles on here. You most likely are dog or cat owners, and they are most likely spayed/neutered. How is it cruel to trim the bird wings to make it safer for him, when every single regular dog and cat on this continent had their reproductive systems messed with you hipocrytes??? The wings grow back, and it's not cutting off flight ability, just slowing him down from flying into something and losing his life. PS accidents happen in the wild too so we just make it safer
===================
"Sabrina Hoagland7 months ago
wow these hateful comments are coming out of no where you don't deserve that! you're just sharing your knowledge!

so what i learned how you handled the bird, i was always intimated to handle a bird because they look so fragile so now i know how to handle a bird when i want to trim them, but i think you want to put into more re-search how to properly trip which feathers and how many just make sure you are clipping the right length and how many feathers are trimmed!

thank you for this video!

also people who are complaining about this video, don't know how to give a critique, this does not takes the birds purpose away they can still exercise and still fly and not able to get into trouble from getting hurt."
===================
"Sue P.2 months ago
Thanks a lot for that helpful video.
Shadow Ninja
Shadow Ninja2 weeks ago
Thx."
===================
"SIBleueye 11 months ago
Really loved it very helpful
Thx for uploading"
===================
"MrsBasaran1 year ago
Thanks for the video... I wish my bird was this calm... Had him a month and I'm about to clip him... Wish me luck :)"
===================
"Nguyễn Quốc Hùng11 months ago
Thank you"
===================
"Nurin Izzati6 months ago
Thank you so much for giving me a reason to clip my birds wings.. I was always sad to do so because I love seeing my baby fly... but I dont want bad things to happen to my baby so your comment has given me an enough reason to stop spoiling my brain thinking it would be sad but its for his own good..."
===================
===================
===================

https://youtu.be/QRBDgRBAVXY

hopefully, you guys will agree and jump on there (keep it civil and factual because she can just delete the posts she doesn't like). if you don't agree with me or don't feel you should dispute her, then just ignore this rant. :mrgreen:
flychomperfly
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Need help from you guys

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:09 am

Should have answered you here sooner. I did go and check out the you tube video and the information that she is saying is not correct for the most part. She is right that clipping the birds too soon creates problems because it may keep the bird from ever learning to fly. She probably thinks that she is doing something good for the bird but her information is incorrect and clipping a healthy parrots wings is never good for the bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Need help from you guys

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 am

You are right, it is a TERRIBLE video and a clear example of an owner who doesn't have a bird because of love for birds but because she is egotistical and, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to change that. She will always be like that...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Indoor Freeflight