Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How frequently do you bathe your parrot?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

How frequently do you bathe your parrot?

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:36 am

How often do you shower, mist, bathe, or offer bathing options to your bird? How frequently is the minimum of washing they need?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: How frequently do you bathe your parrot?

Postby Natacha » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:06 am

I tend to mist mine when I feel it's dry in my apartment.
However, they are pretty good about taking regular baths in their drinking water bowls :roll:
Winter is coming so I'll be misting them more often. Well the Poicephalus anyways.

Piper will be getting a shallow dish of water to bath in more often.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Kili doesn't seem to like bathing. She's on a water bottle so she doesn't take bathes in the cage but when I put her in the shower on a shower perch she seems completely indifferent. She doesn't hate it and try to get away but she doesn't soak it in and enjoy it either. You have a lot of pois, what do you think their relationship with water is and what could entice them to bath better?
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:39 am

Michael wrote:when I put her in the shower on a shower perch she seems completely indifferent. She doesn't hate it and try to get away but she doesn't soak it in and enjoy it either.

Haha that sounds like Shade in the shower.
I bring her in there mostly to get in the humidity. I think our shower jet is just too powerful for them.

My Pois don't seem to mind misting from a water bottle, well except Petey who seems to dislike it.
I get the water bottle out and Zuri comes to me to get wet. Than Shade comes in on the fun and Joey seems a bit indifferent. Piper hates it, which is why she gets a shallow dish of water.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 am

I gotta get a video of Kili in the shower to show you. But I don't think (at least on the lightest setting) that the shower is too strong. I even shower the budgie. I do try to point the water a little indirectly so they could walk on the perch into or out of the stream. But it seems that if I do that nothing gets done and they stay out of it. However, if I point the shower right at Kili, she'll stand there and take it. She won't try to get out but she won't try to enjoy it and make use of it either.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 am

It really depends on the shower.

Mine is awfully harsh, even on mist.
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Postby MandyG » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:21 pm

Mojo doesn't like being sprayed with a spray bottle. He doesn't seem to mind it being sprayed beside him and he doesn't seem afraid of it, he simply seems annoyed when the water hits him and he'll walk away from it.

He absolutely loves being in the shower with me on his shower perch though. We don't have very strong water pressure so the lightest setting on our shower head is perfect for him. I just direct the water so that he can be in it fully if he wants but he can get out of it too. He usually chooses to be completely in the water flapping his wings, flipping upside down, and singing and talking like crazy. I don't think there's anything as entertaining as an amazon in the shower! ;)

He showers with me at least once a week. I'd prefer at least a couple of times a week, but he doesn't seem to like getting up as early as I have to get ready for work so he usually just showers with me on weekends. I don't like to put him in the shower by himself in case the water temperature fluctuates for some reason. It doesn't happen often but I don't want to risk it.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Sallynoobasaur » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:56 am

I've stopped showering with Spike. Whenever we did he was always silent and wouldn't move. Then one day he was on my shoulder while I was doing the dishes and he went crazy. He kept trying to jump in. I realised he would rather have a bath in a long tuppaware container with the water up to the top of his legs.
I don't usaully bathe him often, just when he's playing in his water bowl I see he would appreciate it.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcpa3_9X3bk
Sallynoobasaur
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 am

Sallynoobasaur wrote:I don't usaully bathe him often, just when he's playing in his water bowl I see he would appreciate it.

Here is a video:

Cute!
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby ColleenM » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:04 pm

I try to at least once every other week. Petey produces an amazing amount of dust. You'd think I didn't dust my house... lol... He goes nuts over getting misted with the spray water bottle. Jasmine hates it unless Petey has a bunch of people admiring & laughing at him.. Then, she gets into the misting as much as he does... If the people stop watching, she hates it again... Although, she does love getting completely soaked in the warm bath water. I hold her under the faucet & can use bird shampoo on her. Since she is drenched, I'll then dry her with the lowest setting on the hair dryer.

My friends birds go nuts when the vacuum cleaner is on. They head to for their water bowls and start throwing the water all over themselves... It makes cleaning a lot of fun. Petey has learned this behaviour from them & now at my house, he'll do the same.
ColleenM
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Umbrella cockatoo, Lesser Sulphur Cockatoo, Hyacinth Macaw, Moluccan Cockatoo
Flight: No

Next

Return to General Parrot Care