Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How do you present your fresh foods?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

How do you present your fresh foods?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm curious... I tend to offer Scooter a dish containing a variety of offerings each day and let him decide what he feels like eating. The exact content changes depending on what's in season and I rotate some items in and out, but I'm always offering a mixed fruit and veggie plate or kebab. Do you offer an assortment, or one food at a time?
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: How do you present your fresh foods?

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 pm

I do the same! Veggie/fruit dish for dinner, and I'll eat with them in case anything new and scary is on the menu. :)
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)

Postby lzver » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:33 pm

I provide a mixed dish with veggies/fruits/sprouted beans on a daily (well almost) basis for dinner. They tend to pick and choose what they like. I know what they like/dislike by now, so I try to make both birds happy and try to prevent as much going to waste. I've tried presenting in smaller pieces, but neither Lucy or Jessie really touch it - I think they like to know what they are eating.

And I provide a Veggie/Fruit kabob once or twice a week for dinner. Lucy LOVES her Kabob and while she may not finish all the food on it, she continues playing with it - which means flinging it around and playing with it when she is done eating. I usually have to wipe down the walls after giving her a kabob. Jessie enjoys his Kabob but stops playing with it once he has finished eating.

Then there are the pieces they get as treats whenever I am preparing food in the kitchen. Jessie is so cute ... whenever I'm in kitchen and he can hear that I am chopping, he starts calling out 'Me' ... it's the only time he says that. It's his way of asking if he can have some. Who can resist a cute litte Senegal voice saying "me" :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby miajag » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:57 pm

As far as fresh fruits and veggies go, Winnie really only likes broccoli, corn and apples. I chop up one or more of those each morning and put some in a dish in her cage, usually removing what she hasn't eaten by lunchtime. I've tried giving her various other stuff (carrots, celery, spinach, tomatoes, oranges, etc.) in the same way but she never touches anything else.
miajag
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby bmsweb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:08 pm

I simply serve up a dish with chopped up Fruit / Veggies. Things I include are: Apple, Oranges, Snow Peas, Tomatoes, Corn etc. I was reading they like Peppers / Chillies . . yes the very hot ones!! I've never tried Hot Chillies yet, but I did try Capsicum and they go nuts over it!
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures

Postby TheNzJessie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:24 am

i mix it up i offer them mashed, blended (sauce) mostly apple sauce. chopping and clipped to the side of the cage
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby MandyG » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:01 pm

I don't have a lot of time (and I don't do the cooking or meal preperation in our house) so Mojo really just gets whatever we're having however we're having it. For supper he gets whatever mix of steamed vegetables we're having (prior to seasoning) each night or he'll get fresh veggies if we're having them for a snack. Then whatever fruits I cut up for myself throughout the day I split with him (usually apples or bananas).
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Ashley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi everyone!

Quick question. I just got a young lovebird, but he refuses to eat any fresh stuff. I've tried broccoli, red pepper, corn, raspberries, blackberries, mango, kiwi, alfalfa sprouts... and wont touch any of it. I've tried steaming the veggies, putting them on a kabob, cutting in small pieces and putting them in his dish, and also mixing a bit of seed with the fresh stuff... but nothing. I currently have him on ZuPreem Avian Entrees Garden Goodness pellet mix (has dried red and green pepper, apple, and peas), as well as Tropimix Cockatiel and Lovebird mix. Are these good choices? I know he should have a diet with plenty of fresh stuff, but I've run out of ideas on how to get him to eat them. He just shows no interest. Thanks! :)
Ashley
Parrotlet

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:00 pm

I offer a variety to my kiddos most days, but if I'm offering a new food blend I give them just that for a day or two so that when they get hungry enough they at least try it. Otherwise they're stubborn and they don't try it just because it's new. I have the same rules with them as I do with my nephew. You have to try it one time and then if you don't like it it's negotiable. Otherwise they'd both still only be eating the pellets they were weaned to.

Also there are some ways to disguise foods that are good for them that they don't like. I do veggie mash where it's all blended together, and if you use really strong peppers in the mash it makes all the stuff they don't like taste like pepper. Then if you put in a beat it makes it all bright red (very appealing apparently). And mine also like oregano.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet

Postby skthurley » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:04 pm

I mash and puree a mix of veggies, fruits, sprouts and grains for my guys. All 3 eat it with gusto!
Shandi's Fids
Jack the Ripper ---> Pacific Parrotlet
Kiwi ----> Greencheek Conure
Scooter ---> Senegal
skthurley
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Pacific Parrotlet, Green Cheek Conure and Senegal

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet