Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Open top or play top cage?

Bird rooms, aviaries, cages, foraging trees, play gyms, and stands. Discuss your parrot's locations and perches.

Open top or play top cage?

Postby JaydeParrot » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 am

I'm getting my sennie an new cage soon but am currently stuick between getting her a dome topped one that opens at the top or a play top one which has a perch at the top and a food dish on either side. Cain's always had a dome shape and tends to sit on top/ always come out through the top opening rather than the front opening. These cages are exactly the same size, the only difference is the top (dome which opens or play perch).

Would like to know from anyone with a sennie or similar sized bird, which one would you get and why?

Thanks.
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Open top or play top cage?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:42 am

My two sennies are in a dome top cage but they never perch on it - they fly all over the place and usually perch on either the canaries or the cardinals cages which are flat topped (or my head, my shoulder, my back, etc :D ).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:11 pm

Kiki, Senegal has a plat top cage which she uses quite a bit. I have a couple of logs on it as well as a small bird bath and two or more toys at any given time. She also spends a great deal of her time on me or perching in other places.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue May 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Both of my cages are playtop, but I dont use them, instead i built really nice playgrounds for the top of the cage. i like to keep my cage top completely covered anyway, it cuts down on a parrot getting a toe bit from being on anothers cage.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 pm

My tiels cage is an open top and they sit on it sometimes and they also sometimes take naps there but prefer to go a little higher most of the time either on my wardrobe or their shower perch attached to the wall.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Chantilly » Wed May 04, 2016 5:16 am

seagoatdeb wrote:Both of my cages are playtop, but I dont use them, instead i built really nice playgrounds for the top of the cage. i like to keep my cage top completely covered anyway, it cuts down on a parrot getting a toe bit from being on anothers cage.

This is a really good point. I wonder if You could get some sort of wood sheet and cut it to size to sit on top of a cage to reduce and toe biting
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Wed May 04, 2016 6:16 am

All of my play top cages have a second dropping tray that fits both under the cage or on top to catch droppings so that they don't get poop in their water or food or even on their perches when they use the tops of the cage and it also prevents the possibility of getting a toe bitten should they land on top of another birds cage. Doesn't help if they go onto the sides of the cage but work wonders on top.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed May 04, 2016 2:50 pm

I like home made that are the size of the cage, and have real branches for my parrots to climb on and they can be replaced with new branches when needed. i also have a long branch that i have tied on to the outside of cage with jute and Zipties. it runs from the botttom of the cage to the top.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Housing