Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Advice over Two Young Parrotlets

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Advice over Two Young Parrotlets

Postby amazhar » Sat May 07, 2016 9:20 am

I recently got these two young male and female parrotlets (3 months old now) a male and a female. They were generally scared from me. Bit by bit I started to gain their trust by offering treats. They now come to me whenever they see the treats however they started biting, they wouldn't step up either. I need your help on where to start with them. I also noticed that they sometimes fight, bite each others legs.

Any Adivce
amazhar
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Advice over Two Young Parrotlets

Postby Wolf » Sat May 07, 2016 10:09 am

The very first suggestion that I have for you is to place them in separate cages. You could try finding a much larger cage for them and it might help or it might not, but placing them close to each other in separate cages will keep them from injuring each other. I also have a pair of parrotlets they are both adults and I have to keep them separated or the male attacks the female and this would just continue until the male kills the female. They are very difficult birds to keep together and sometimes it just is not possible to keep them in the same cage.

As much as I love my parrotlets, I must admit that they are among the most aggressive of any of the parrots that I have ever known. Part of this has to be due to their size. They can also be some of the most loving little bird in the world.

Get them separated as quickly as possible and let me know and I will be happy to walk you through how to hand tame them, but my first priority must be to advise for their safety and well being.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby amazhar » Sat May 07, 2016 12:09 pm

Sure ill do that. But my intention behind getting a pari is for them to enjoy each other's company when I am not there. But I already got another big cage for them and I was intending to put a lot of toys to distract them. I do not want them to be lonely when I am not there.
amazhar
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sat May 07, 2016 1:55 pm

I know, but it is not that easy with parrotlets. I got Keeta, my female parrotlet and then once I was able to be certain that she was a female I got her a beautiful male parrotlet for a mate. they did very well for almost a year but then he suddenly started attacking her. I did some more research on breeding them, although I have not intention of breeding them, as I would have changed out the eggs, and discovered that this was a very common problem with parrotlets. Separating them into two cages and then placing the cages right next to each other keeps them from fighting and my female is not going to get killed by the male and they can still talk to each other as well as see each other, they are only restricted from unsupervised physical contact.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby amazhar » Sat May 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Great. I will do that then. My parrotlets are from the same clutch of eggs. I will separate them and then let you know so we could start with the steps of training.

Then if I decide to breed them later when they are adults, would that work out?

Thank for your help
amazhar
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sat May 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I really would not want to breed a brother and sister to each other it is bad for all concerned genetically just the same as in humans.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby amazhar » Sun May 08, 2016 3:19 am

Yes yess, I got that. How should I do the process of the split? I do not want to grab the bird and just put it in the other cage. I want to do it smoothly? any advice?
amazhar
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 am

Actually, I think that just catching one of them and putting it in the other cage may be the less stressful way of doing it given how new they are to you. However, it there is a door that lines up well enough to prevent a bird from escaping, you could try letting one of them move into the second cage on its own, which would be the ideal way of doing it, provided that it works. If it does not then just do it and get it over with as quickly as possible and then give them both a treat afterwards.

Since they are so new to you and are not hand tamed you will not notice any loss of trust from it and then by the time that you might have to do anything similar again you should have them hand tamed and there would then be more options.

I will be leaving to help a friend very shortly so I don't have time to type out directions for hand taming so I will do that later today and post them here for you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby amazhar » Sun May 08, 2016 11:58 am

I very much appreciate your help. I will try doing the shift through treats. They now come to have their treat from my hand and one is more courageous than the other, So I guess ill try to do that. I will let you know how it goes.

Again Thanks a lot for giving me the time
amazhar
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 09, 2016 10:07 am

I don't have plets so I don't have any personal experience with them but you might get away with both of them in the same cage if it's HUGE and has a partition in the middle (so you can put one on each side).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training