Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: I got my Red Belly back!

Postby ptuga72 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Brittanyv326 wrote:Tell your husband the Caique is now his. So you have 3 birds, he has one. You're both under your limits. ;)

I would go with this, but I would mess it up by saying "you've just been lawyered!" at the end :lol:

Sounds like you've gotten a lot of ideas though, I hope it works out well for all involved.
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:03 pm

And the day goes from bad to worse. Turns out the Grey and the Caique (who are best friends and do everything together) actively try to attack Nicholas (Red Belly) whenever I let them out of their cages. So, I let the birds out and Linus (Caique) and the Grey went after Nicholas. Pippin (Senegal) was on my shoulder. I got Linus and put him back in his cage and during that time the Grey cornered Nicholas. I had to grab the Grey to keep him from hurting Nicholas so got a bite on the hand from that. During the tussle, Pippin gave me a warning bite in the face (like they do with their mates when they sense danger) and drew blood. Then I tried to comfort Nicholas who of course bit me because he was scared to death. All bites were my fault of course. I should not have let them out together. I wonder if they can sense my stress about the situation and are acting up because of it. Linus already knew Nicholas from before and never attacked him then so I wasn't expecting the huge fight that happened.

:o Wow- and Pippin just flew over to me and bit my nose for no reason. All of the other birds are away. He must be sensing my stress. He is not usually a biter. What a day. :violin:
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Rue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Tough situation.

Agreeing to three birds is fine. But this is a 'unique' situation. You're taking a bird back to prevent him from going to a rescue. You didn't go out and seek another bird.

Don't give up your grey. That will breed resentment.

I suggest you rehome Nicholas - you can take time to find another owner for him that he loves, or talk with hubby and have 4 birds.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Rue » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:37 pm

pchela wrote:And the day goes from bad to worse..... Turns out the Grey and the Caique (who are best friends and do everything together) actively try to attack Nicholas (Red Belly) whenever I let them out of their cages. So...

and Pippin just flew over to me and bit my nose for no reason. All of the other birds are away. He must be sensing my stress. He is not usually a biter. What a day. :violin:

Also, while others might disgree, I always recommend (esp. if you don't quarantine) at least a one week 'introduction' period. It doesn't matter if the birds know each other from before or not. There will often be territoriality issues.
Last edited by Rue on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Every parrot has a duty: To reduce the world to toothpicks.
Rue
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels -2 hens
Amazon, Green-cheeked
Pionus. White-capped
African Grey, Red-tailed (CAG)

Postby Michael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:25 pm

That sux. Yeah, I think you went too fast reintroducing him to the flock. I'm taking it slow introducing Kili to Truman cause she'll kill him the first chance she gets. Whenever I walk past her cage with Truman, she gets really big and jumps onto the cage bars and makes aggressive postures like I've never seen from her before. Also she flies over to a table near his cage and watches him. At times she'll even fly onto his cage and I gotta scare her off of it. When we trained in front of the cage it was good and she just focused on me... but I worry about letting them out together because although Truman is bigger, Kili is a better flier and much more aggressive.

I'm sure this episode won't help convince your husband to let you keep him... :(
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. Well, I do but it was wrong. Pippin likes Nicholas and I reintroduced them yesterday and all was fine. Today I decided to take Nicholas and Pippin into the living room with me and I was going to let Linus and Noname play around the cages for a while. So in my head, they'd be separated but as soon as I let the two younger ones out they took off for the living room and immediately went after Nicholas. I definitely should have known better.

I guess I could not mention the incident to my husband but he's going to wonder where the puncture wound on my face came from and I'm not really keen on lying to him.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Natacha » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm not quite sure what to say.

I am happy for you, that you got Nicholas back.

However, I am one who wouldn't really push my boyfriend if we set a limit and he said enough. (Yeah yeah, lucky me, he allowed me to get quite a few birds, but adding another one at this point might be a problem (not that I feel tempted in the least bit right now, I'm definitively at my limit for now)).

I would be honest with him; tell him you understand that you had a limit, but that you felt compelled to help this one last bird. He might be more understanding.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby pchela » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:55 pm

Yeah, I would normally never push my husband into getting another, especially since we agreed. I just couldn't bear the thought of Nicholas going to a rescue. He can deliver a nasty bite and I have this fear that he'll become cage bound and neglected because he bit his new owner. If I could find him a good home, that might be different I guess. I would have found a home for the Caique a long time ago as he was taken in as a foster, and is quite hyper and messy, but my husband really likes him. He's also a baby though and could easily adjust to a new home. Also, the Grey and the Caique have really bonded and I'd hate to separate them at this point. I hate the idea of rehoming any bird but in my mind, finding a baby a forever home is better and easier on the bird than trying to find an adult a home. I feel like it would be much easier to find a good home for the Grey or Caique (I'd love it if they could stay together) than an 8 year old, bitey Red Belly. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Who knows, maybe my husband will be cool with it after he has some time to adjust. As I said before, he really is a good guy but there was a reason we agreed on three birds. It doesn't help that we're in a smallish apartment and the birds take up the entire dining area. I'm mainly just pissed at myself for getting into this situation. I should never have brought the Grey home. I feel like I should have known that Nicholas would end up back here.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Re: I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Postby Banksie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:34 am

Pchela, you must be the nicest woman on this earth! I don't know one female who wouldn't have manipulated their partner into allowing the fourth bird by now.

Maybe you could sell your husband, that way you get compensation for your loss?
Banksie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 16
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, 2x Budgerigars, 5x Zebra Finches, 4x Bengalese Finches, 2x Chinese Painted Quails, 2x Red-Eared Waxbills.

Re: I got my Red Belly back! (not entirely good news)

Postby lzver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:58 am

How are things going pchela? I hope yesterday was a better day for you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales