Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mango/Tiko Progress Continuing Thread

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Mango/Tiko Progress Continuing Thread

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat May 07, 2016 5:03 pm

I wasn't gonna post today because of a certain incident I was upset over but I'm ok now.I will be using this thread to continue sharing Mango and Tiko's progress instead of making multiple threads.

First of all starting with Mango, On Thursday he stepped up on my finger twice and was letting strangers touch his beak and he stepped up for them.He always steps up on your arm but on the finger that was something new since he still isn't completely accepting hands although he will let me do stuff with him because I guess he is closer to me since I am always with him and he has also began taking treats from me which is good progress.5 months ago he would fly away each chance he got but now if he wants to be left alone he will simply just walk away or do nothing.He is also starting to enjoy being with my mam also the type of training I was doing with Mango is Michaels steps on taming birds afraid of hands and it is working good.

Tiko has stopped running away and will now step up for me inside her cage too and I can put my hand closer to her without her biting.I have only been bitten when I was practicing step up with her but she isn't biting me anymore and she wasn't biting hard but did leave marks that I still have.I haven't done any training with Tiko in a few days just bonding.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA
Flight: Yes

Re: Mango/Tiko Progress Continuing Thread

Postby owlyssa » Sat May 07, 2016 5:07 pm

I'm glad your birds are doing so well! Working with skittish birds who aren't totally socialized is an uphill battle, but it's definitely worth it all in the end.

I wish the best for you, Mango, and Tiko. :)
owlyssa
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot - Kona
Flight: No

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sat May 07, 2016 5:09 pm

owlyssa wrote:I'm glad your birds are doing so well! Working with skittish birds who aren't totally socialized is an uphill battle, but it's definitely worth it all in the end.

I wish the best for you, Mango, and Tiko. :)

Thank you :) Tiko isn't really skittish just earning trust back because a few years ago she bit my mams lip and my mam screamed and they both lost trust in each other.It was an accident though.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sun May 08, 2016 6:49 am

Excellent progress, Brandon. Earning a parrots trust really needs to be the very first thing that one does and it allows the real bonding to begin and is the basis for a good relationship, without it there is really nothing. That is the reason that it is the thing that I emphasize the most when it comes to interacting with these birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun May 08, 2016 10:55 am

Wolf wrote:Excellent progress, Brandon. Earning a parrots trust really needs to be the very first thing that one does and it allows the real bonding to begin and is the basis for a good relationship, without it there is really nothing. That is the reason that it is the thing that I emphasize the most when it comes to interacting with these birds.

Thank you :)
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 08, 2016 11:36 am

I am glad your parrots are feeling more comfortable with you. Captivity is stressful enough for them to have to deal with a keeper they don't trust 100%.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Sun May 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Pajarita wrote:I am glad your parrots are feeling more comfortable with you. Captivity is stressful enough for them to have to deal with a keeper they don't trust 100%.

Thanks.Whenever Mango or Tiko is in trouble or scared they fly to any human near.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Return to Taming & Basic Training