Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

scared Caique

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

scared Caique

Postby Al3bd » Fri May 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Hello ,
I have caique 8 months when i come near the cage he crash into the cage and he won't eat from hand .
Regards
Al3bd
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: scared Caique

Postby Wolf » Fri May 20, 2016 6:47 pm

I am not understanding whether the bird is 8 months old or if you have had the bird for 8 months. Please take some time and tell me the age of the bird, how long you have had him and anything else that might help me to understand. better.

I am thinking that you have just got the bird recently and that the bird is 8 months old. If this is true then the problem is simply that the bird is afraid and it is going to take it a little time to get used to its new home.

What part of the world do you live in? It is possible that this may be a wild caught bird or at least a parent raised bird. What species of caique do you have? The more information that you can share with us the better we can help you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Al3bd » Sat May 21, 2016 4:43 am

Wolf wrote:I am not understanding whether the bird is 8 months old or if you have had the bird for 8 months. Please take some time and tell me the age of the bird, how long you have had him and anything else that might help me to understand. better.

I am thinking that you have just got the bird recently and that the bird is 8 months old. If this is true then the problem is simply that the bird is afraid and it is going to take it a little time to get used to its new home.

What part of the world do you live in? It is possible that this may be a wild caught bird or at least a parent raised bird. What species of caique do you have? The more information that you can share with us the better we can help you.

Thank you for replay Wolf Sorry for short info the bird age is 8 months i have him for two months now the type black headed caique the bird imported from breeder am living in kuwait :)
Al3bd
Parakeet

Postby liz » Sat May 21, 2016 6:14 am

Welcome to the forum.

Wolf will get back to you with more info.

The first thing I would do is to move his cage up with a perch at face level. Then keep my hands out of his sight except for cage maintenance. Even then I would keep palms down while changing things in the cage. Also I would not look at him while in his cage changing things.

You are a preditor and he just does not know yet if you plan to eat him.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun May 22, 2016 8:45 am

I think that your problem is that he is just scared and that you are going to have to start over with a different approach to taming which concentrates on earning the birds trust This bird need to eat a lot of fruits and you may have to teach it to eat them. It also requires a mix of small seeds such as canary seed, millet very limited amounts of sunflower seeds.. I don't know what you have available to you for feeding a parrot and will have to depend on you to let me know is some food that I suggest is available or not as well as what might be able to be used that you can find.

I think that you need to start by going into the room that the parrot is in and just stopping so that you can observe what your bird is doing or not doing. I suggest that you watch your bird friend from the corner of your eyes, this is because your bird is a prey animal and predators look directly at a bird they are stalking and so if you look at your bird directly it will scare the bird and make him nervous. You do not want to approach the bird while it is nervous you want to wait until the bird is calm and relaxed. Then when the bird is calm you can approach, but do it in a round about manner, not heading directly towards the bird. And any time that the bird begins to act nervous you need to stop and even take a step back and wait for the bird to relax again and then continue to work your way towards the birds cage. During all of this time from when you first enter the room until you are able to work yourself up to the cage you need to talk to your bird using his name and use a coaxing type of voice as well as a lot of good bird type of praise. When you get to the cage offer the bird a bite or two of sprig type millet. It will probably not take it right at first and that it alright just break off a small piece of the millet and place it in the birds food dish. and leave. Do this three or four times each day until the bird remains relaxed while you approach the cage. It usually takes a couple of days, sometimes longer before the bird remains relaxed enough for you to come into the room and go directly to the cage. This is the main thing that you are looking for at this early stage, however he might start to come towards the front of the cage after a couple of days of doing this,

It would also be good it the birds cage is placed so that the highest perch in the cage is at eyelevel when you stand next to the cage and if one side of the cage is placed along a wall and perhaps next to a window with screens on the window. Also in an area where the bird can watch you during the day. It is important that he can watch you without feeling pressured by you being in the same area as he is in. That way at odd moments during the day you can stop what you are doing and just say hi, ( his name) and drop a treat in his food dish and then just continue with whatever you were doing.

Try this for two or three days and let me know how things are going and we will move to the next step.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Al3bd » Mon May 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you Liz And Wolf i'll try to do that
Al3bd
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm

All we are looking for with the information that I gave you is for him to not be scared of you being in the room or near the cage ,at the very best he might start coming towards the front of the cage when you go to it. and then we can go to the next step. We are not looking for much just that he is not so afraid, we will still have a way to go before he will trust you to do more than talk to him from next to the cage.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training