Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

mynah's play things

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

mynah's play things

Postby danamaynah » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:25 am

greetings,

just figured out my mynah's favorite play toy and it turns out to be papers from magazines. he would just pick fights with it for hours lol
apparently they like bottle caps and shiny things but Crowley was only interested in the paper :lol:
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: mynah's play things

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:56 am

Not having a mynah, I can not speak with any degree of authority, but I suspect that they are similar to parrots in regards to toys, meaning that if you don't teach it what a toy is that it does not now what it is or how to use it. The best way that I know of to teach this to a parrot is for you to play with it in front of your bird enough to get its attention and then offering it to the bird. It may take multiple times for this to work, but it usually does.

Another thing that come to mind is that mynahs are probably of such a nature that they like solving puzzle type toys, so consider some of the foraging toys that they have to figure out how to open doors or drawers or other of the more complex foraging type toys.

The closest that I have ever had to a mynah were two different birds that were wild, one was a blue jay and the other was a crow, they both also liked shiny things which they would take and place in their nest. I mention this as you might want to consider putting an extra bowl in his cage with some shiny bird safe items in it so he has a place to place his treasures.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby danamaynah » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:52 am

I like the bowl idea, after he played for a long time I gave him some treats and its the first time that he takes the treat from my hand while ive got it in the cage I thing I just earned brownie points from him
danamaynah
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African gray parrot
indian ringneck

Postby liz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:40 am

Myrtle's first toy was a ring of bottle caps that I put together. After 5 years she is still into bottle caps that are child proof. They have linings in the caps that she likes to take out before she chews on it.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:53 am

parry wrote:I want to buy a minah. Are they expensive?

It depends on where you live and the range goes from $250 to $600 but these are not easy birds to keep so, unless you have good experience on doing research, have a good working knowledge of dietary issues and are willing and able to prepare food, it's not really recommended.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY