Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Any cheap parrot stand/ play stand ideas

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Any cheap parrot stand/ play stand ideas

Postby InsanityShard » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:05 pm

I'm going to try potty training them. As for the safe layer, I was going to get the hardest parrot safe wood I possibly can, and keep putting patches over where they've chewed. If that's not enough, how can I stop my parrots chewing my desk? It's painted and chemically treated chip wood, not parrot safe at all. If I have to get a new desk, so be it, I will. At least the tank hood and stand are untreated for my fish tank, but my bunk bed is metal. Would they try to chew on that?
InsanityShard
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:22 am

No, they don't like to chew on metal. Potty training is VERY bad for birds, please reconsider because birds have ended up with prolapse from it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:46 pm

Really? Huh. How does that happen? I was reading up on it a little and saw a guy who said his parrot just went if it couldn't hold it. I was just gonna put the thing I trained it into in it's cage when it's there and such, always have it with me when the parrots with me. If that's not the problem, then I won't train it.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:59 am

It happens because a bird's body is not meant to hold its feces for any period of time. Birds have a very high metabolism and poop very, very, very often (sometimes every few minutes) so, when you train the bird to 'hold it' the bird ends up with a portion of its lower intestines enlarged (the poop has to be 'stored' somewhere if it's not coming out) and this, as times goes by, ends up in a portion of the intestine coming out which requires surgery to correct (and, very often, several surgeries).

You are going to find a lot of bad information in the net about training and caring for parrots so you need to do your own research and go to nature meaning, learn about their anatomy, their diet, their habits, etc in their natural environment.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby InsanityShard » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Alright, that kind of thing is exactly why on Saturday I'll be joining up to the bird club here, and some of the other members here have their own princess parrots, the same kind of parrot I want to get. I can get very good information off them.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:02 pm

Well, I have to tell you that I don't put much stock on what just any owner says... I am not saying nobody out there has the right kind of knowledge because, of course, there is plenty of people that do! BUT I only take into consideration what people who have proven to me over and over that they know what they are talking about say.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby InsanityShard » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:59 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping to meet a breeder there. Mum says my sister has a breeder friend who could send some up from Melbourne cheap, but I don't want them sent all the way here to South East Queensland through the mail. The birds would probably never want to go in the car again.
InsanityShard
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:24 am

I agree with you 100%, shipping birds is criminal, if you ask me!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY