Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Found an app to teach your bird

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

Found an app to teach your bird

Postby joephone » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:48 pm

My bird learnt to say hello just in days.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bird-spe ... 1122900291
joephone
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Found an app to teach your bird

Postby Wolf » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:01 pm

I guess this app is ok if all you want is for the bird to say something and can't take the time to teach you bird yourself. But my birds do not speak by rote, they speak cognitively, in other words they know what they are saying and what it means, so they speak and it makes sense to the conversation.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:52 am

Yep, repetition of a word or phrase without putting it in context is not what one wants out of a parrot, is it? I mean, by doing this, you are not really helping the bird learn how to communicate with you so the whole purpose of them learning human language is kind of useless, no?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:04 am

I don't know, it could just be my own attitude about the whole speech thing in birds. First of all I don't really care if they ever speak a human word or not, it is just not all that important. I mean, like my dogs don't do it and it does not make them any less amusing, frustrating, loveable or whatever to me. But I guess I am just accustomed to speech making sense to me, which is why when my birds show me that they want to say human words, I try to teach them cognitive type speech.

But, I do hope that the app works out for you. I know that some people's lives are very busy and it can be difficult to find the time to do everything that you would like to do. Although it might work to teach cognitive speech, it would have to be programmable so you could teach your bird a word or phrase and then when the bird uses it, you could show it what the word or phrase means. Anyway good luck with the app.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:29 am

Charge it if you plan to leave it with your bird overnight lol :lol: of course the birds need to sleep not have words going through their ears
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:13 am

Wolf wrote:I don't know, it could just be my own attitude about the whole speech thing in birds. First of all I don't really care if they ever speak a human word or not, it is just not all that important. I mean, like my dogs don't do it and it does not make them any less amusing, frustrating, loveable or whatever to me. But I guess I am just accustomed to speech making sense to me, which is why when my birds show me that they want to say human words, I try to teach them cognitive type speech.

But, I do hope that the app works out for you. I know that some people's lives are very busy and it can be difficult to find the time to do everything that you would like to do. Although it might work to teach cognitive speech, it would have to be programmable so you could teach your bird a word or phrase and then when the bird uses it, you could show it what the word or phrase means. Anyway good luck with the app.

:lol: He would need a super-duper computer for that, Wolf (kind of like an AI one, no?). I don't think that apps have that kind of capability but, then, I am not computer savvy so maybe they do...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Not really, just a little creativity such as teach the bird the word for its favorite food, such as apple and then sow the bird an apple and say apple and say it again when you give it a bite of the apple.

Let the app teach the bird the phrase bird out and then use that same phrase everytime you let the bird out of the cage. Just an example the phrase could be nearly anything similar like "want out" or " I want out". Just as long as you link the word or phrase to the item or act that is appropriate.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:50 am

But how would the app make it so the bird gets the apple? Can apps do that?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:08 am

Nope, the app can't do that part of it, the owner would have to do that part of it. The app could only teach the word, the owner would have to then teach the bird what an apple is, if they hope to have the bird to use the word apple in a cognitive manner.

It is not really that different than the owner teaching the bird to say apple and then continuing on to teach the bird what an apple is and then to ask for the apple when it wants a piece of apple. It only uses the app to teach the word.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:13 am

Well, then I don't see how the app is of any use... I mean, I might as well say the word myself exactly when I wanted it said, no?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Next

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations