Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Little bird rescues

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Little bird rescues

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:10 pm

Unfortunately I know first hand of the many problems that arise after you think and it looks like you have a handle on it. My vet DR. Dickey has drilled in into my head about getting so attached to these rescues just because of this. He knows that I will move heaven and earth to save these abused baby's, but to many times permeant damage is done especially where there diet is concerned. I guess he's right about taking solace in the fact that the remainder of there lives were filled with love and happiness but that sure doesn't make it any easier. I still cry for my beloved Rosie and can't wait to be with her , I loved her so much Bird woman. Thanks pajirata
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 pm

I hear you! With the exception of my purebred Timbrados, all my birds are either rehomes or rescues, some of them in good shape, some not too bad and some in bad shape but I love them all the same. I always hesitate in using the word 'abused' because even though some of them came from not so good homes, in my personal opinion, if one goes by substandard husbandry and/or conditions as a measure of abuse, then most pet parrots are been abused. To me, abuse qualifies only when harm is done on purpose so I seldom use the word. It seems to me that, nowadays, most everybody refers to their adopted parrot as a victim of abuse just because they have FDB or appeared to have been neglected in one way or another but I don't think that this is, indeed, the case. People do the best they can... unfortunately, in many, many cases, they lack the knowledge and/or the ability to provide correctly for them but it's not out of malice.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:22 pm

I truly wish I could be as kind hearted and sympathetic to the ignorance of people , but the fact is the Internet has made it pretty darn easy to learn even the very basics of care for all creature. I've become pretty hardened over the years on this issue . My flock like yours is a blend of the same as you mentioned. I just wish people would understand there is a lot of good, knowledgeable, helpful and willing people out there that will help ! And not let the situations deteriorate to the point of harm, weather it is physically or mentally or both to all creatures. When their locked in a cage , behind a fence or chained to a tree they are at humans mercy and can't even try to fen for themselves. Well so much for venting , I'm just happy to hook up with people like you that care as much as I do !!!! BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:44 am

While I do agree that most parrots are abused in one way or the other, I would also have to agree that most of it is done out of ignorance and not malice, also that most of it is through neglect. But, Mimi has taught me that regardless of what I think and feel that abuse is abuse. I know that she was loved very much, but after three years she still is afraid to be out or even off of her cage. While she screams if you attempt to get her to step up while on the cage, she will step up when on the floor or anywhere else that she finds herself when she gets to playing and forgets to hang on and has to fly to save herself from a fall. She just had so many rules to live by that she can't really be a bird. She will now take a nut from us as a treat and does not cower at the back of the cage when I feed her and instead of biting she has learned that she can touch us without being in trouble so she rarely bites any more. Her abuse was done because the male in the house was a control freak and also out of ignorance, but the mental and emotional damage that was done to her can only qualify as abuse. The plucking that Keeta did when I came up to get her was simply a case of the humans lives changing to the point that they could not give her the time she needed and not from anything intentional nor has it proven to be permanent, it was just a bad situation and the people loved her and they die find her a new home when they were able to do so.

The problem with just neglect and poor conditions and abuse is intent and the results, because the same thing is occurring, but in many cases it is only in how long it has been going on that makes it abuse, unless it is intentional and those people just should not be near an animal of any kind.

I still think that a lot of the problems that many parrots run into before they are given to a rescue or rehomed could be reduced or eliminated if breeders and sale people would talk to the person wanting the bird about what to expect with the bird as it matures as well as what it takes to care for them properly. But I don't think that anyone really disagrees with this either.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:56 am

True.

I had a friend with many parrots. I did not know about them at the time and did not think anything of them being in small cages in her hallway. Looking back I think of how bored they were and not getting sunlight would be not only depressing but hurtful. She loved each one but did not know she was hurting them.

I wish I could go back in time with the knowledge I have now and teach her how to care for them.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 am

No, of course I don't disagree with that, Wolf. And I also think that nobody who knows and cares about birds would, either. The problem is that there are, actually, very VERY few people who are in a position to take good care of a parrot and the greatest majority of people who get them have no idea of the care a parrot needs to be healthy and happy. They think a bird must be low maintenance - I mean, a cage, some food and water on a daily basis and that's it, right? And this is, basically, what they are told by the pet stores AND the breeders. That's the first problem. The second is that, even when they do find out, because there are all kinds of different husbandry approaches on the net (from real bad to real good), they simply choose to believe and use the one that fits them best and so they feed pellets or seeds and hardly any produce or give them all kinds of bad human food; they keep them at a human light schedule; they start training them before they even bond with them; they use them as 'shoulder candy', etc.

As to emotional damage, yes, it happens, no doubt about it. But I think that, sometimes, it can be traced back to the breeder because we have all kinds of studies that tell us that stress and neglect suffered when very young has a permanent effect on the psychological make-up of the adult bird. But I also think that, in most cases (not all, mind you) these birds can, under special care, improve a lot. They will never be 100% normal but, in truth, I don't think that any captive-bred parrot is actually COMPLETELY normal. I think they all have, in different degrees, psychological problems.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:22 pm

Can't disagree with that at all, if they were completely normal they would not have anything to do with us!! :violin: :lol: :violin: :violin:
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:40 am

The only weakness I have found in Rambo is the amount of time it took him to adjust to the new house. It just hit me that I had no way of telling him it was a different house in a different place. We traveled at night then he woke up here. I hate that I did that to him but everyone was telling me to travel at night while they slept.

Myrtle's weakness is her jealousy. Her first year was of neglect and fear of the bird in the cage touching hers. The Grey in the next cage (it was little like Myrtles) was also being neglected and took it out on Myrtle. They were kept in a dark dining room but the Too had a big cage with the door open in the living room with big windows and we know that these beings are aware. He knew he was not treated right. Poor Myrtle only knew that he scared her. When she bonded to me it was so tight that she did not want to share me with Rambo or anyone else. She should be more secure by now but she still gets jealous.

Rambo can come to me and walk all over me but if I touch him she makes a point of stopping me. When he wakes up in the morning he calls to me "hello". I answer but if I don't get up he climbs the side of my bed and onto my shoulder while I lay there. He can preen me and talk to me and even do his little cutsie noises as long as I don't touch him. (We save that for when Myrtle is distracted by a toy else where.) He does not lack attention and knows the situation.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Bird woman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:32 pm

Little rescue update, the cockatiel is now perching through out the day and at night. He still doesn't go up to the big perch but I've supplied him with several choices of natural branches low to the bottom and he uses them all. He's got an attitude now and tells me off everyday when I clean his cage. He's loves Finley chopped veggies and fruit but in true fashion I'm having a hell of a time getting that little parrot to eat good stuff. :cry: :cry: the cockatiel has gained 5 grams so far and the Quaker 4 . The Quaker was in far better shape , max that's his name now , probably got the biggest part of what little food there was , he's kind of a bully bird !!! But very protective over the cockatiel , goes off in his cage when I take the tiel out. Probably thinks the tiel is his own private little punching bag. :mrgreen: well that's it for now. Oh" got a call on a 40 year old macaw that's elderly owner is to sick to take care of , so we'll see what happens , here goes the flock dynamics AGAIN " :dancing2: :dancing2: :dancing2: :dancing3: :danicing:
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:49 am

I hear you! It takes a couple of years to get everybody 'settled' when a new one comes in! My downstairs birds are now on the war path with poor Pookey who recently joined them out of the birdroom - every chance they have, they go over to her cage to bother her!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic