Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Potty Training

Exchange information about how to teach specific tricks to parrots. Most of these techniques should apply to all bird species. Share your success stories.

Potty Training

Postby BridgetTracy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:10 am

I'm not sure if this is in the right category. In getting my green cheek conure soon, and he will be free flighted. After I have had him for a while and he is comfortable with me, I want to potty train him. The way I want to have him do it is by flying to his perch whenever he needs to go and then flying back to me. All without me telling him to. Is that possible? And how would i teach that? Thanks!
BridgetTracy
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Potty Training

Postby Michael » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:14 am

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby BridgetTracy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:46 am

Thanks, Micheal!
BridgetTracy
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:19 am

I do NOT recommend potty training for birds. Their metabolism is too fast for it and it has negative physical consequences for them.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Oh yeah? If they can hold it all night, what's wrong with holding it an extra few minutes?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby BridgetTracy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:17 am

Pajarita wrote:I do NOT recommend potty training for birds. Their metabolism is too fast for it and it has negative physical consequences for them.

As I mentioned , the way I would train him would to be where he wouldn't have to hold it. Whenever he wants, he can go. Just in a specific place.
BridgetTracy
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 am

birds can be funny creatures especially when it comes to pooping. If they are trained to go to a specific place to poop then they will often hold it in if they can't get to this spot. This is something to consider.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:25 am

Michael wrote:Oh yeah? If they can hold it all night, what's wrong with holding it an extra few minutes?

A sleeping state is different from a waking state, Michael. I don't know if it is the same with birds but I would assume it is as with people. Humans produce a urine-suppression hormone when asleep so they can 'hold it' all night long but they don't produce it during the 'awake' time. Children can start holding it all night when they are VERY young but, if they hold it during the day, they end up with physical problems (I have a grandson that had this problem). And then there is the case of the bird that ended up with prolapse from been potty trained (there is thread here somewhere about it).

The point is that anything that is so very unnatural needs to be considered very carefully. A little poop never hurt anybody but making the bird hold it might so, personally, I would much rather deal with an extra bit of cleaning that risking their health.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Parrot Trick Training