Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Off topic discussions that are unrelated to parrots and other parrot discussions that don't fit anywhere else.

Re: Coombs Parrot Sanctuary Future Uncertain

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:55 am

Personally, I think that they should split the birds between different sanctuaries and, if at all possible, 'spread them out' geographically so more people have close access to them because, as you say, the fact that they are in an island and all the way out West is reducing their chances of getting adopted any time soon.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:22 pm

That could possibly happen and i am sure they have all thought of that, but there is very likely not enough time, are not that many Sanctuarys in Canada and they will need lots of donations and lots of volanteers. Grey Haven needed to relocate and update their own sanctuary and used their donations to help these parrots instead. Vets have donated time, but a lot more of that is needed.

Anyone who wants to donate money or adopt a bird can email WPRbirds@greyhaven.bc.ca and put the words 'adopt' or 'donate' in the subject line.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:38 am

I wanted to adopt one of the 'difficult' ones -you know, the ones that pluck, scream, etc- but, unfortunately, the 'emergency' funds I was planning on using for the adoption fee and the trip will have to be used to help my oldest daughter whom we just found out, is pregnant again (her 3rd and our grandkid no. 12!) because it was a surprise pregnancy (they have just started a new business for which they had to borrow money and had just sold their apartment -they are living with the in-laws- so they could buy a house).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 am

Well, they have all been moved and the adoption process starts (they had not been responding).

There was another story that the husband had locked the facility before the Aug/1 date he had given them because he thought volunteers were removing parts of the infrastructure but that was solved and they finished moving the last of the birds. All I can say is that the poor founder woman must be turning in her grave over the behavior of her husband!

http://www.kamloopsbcnow.com/watercoole ... C_parrots/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:03 pm

I contacted them through e-mail and the response I got was they said they were trying to reunite as many as they could with there previous owners . Thought that was strange , maybe the ones that did take care of them but situation changed , hope that's what it is. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:44 am

Yes, everybody was getting the same thing. I think that was the 'default' reply they were giving because they were not really doing anything with the adoptions. I am not blaming them! I can imagine the huge rush having to vet, evaluate and place, even if temporarily, over 500 birds but I think they should have been more forthcoming with their answer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:56 am

Birdwoman, many of the people that let their parrots go did so because they felt they did not have enough time and the Coombs Sanctuary was a forever home. I alway enjoyed my visits there when I lived a 2 hour drive from Coombs. The owners aging, and then death had left such bad conditons.
They are trying to reunite parrots with owners and so far some people have been able to reclaim their parrots. If the owner didnt have a band number then the parrot recognizing them was the criteria they used. They have 40 still in Nanaimo, and the rest have been moved to Vancouver and are in temporary places. The moving of so many parrots and having to use a ferry each trip took them a long time. The cost is enormous to Greyhaven, and they are vetting the parrots and getting ready for adoptions. When the parrots are healthy the adoptions will start. Since they dont know when they will have a clean bill of health there is not anymore information they will give.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:38 am

I remember reading that they had collected over $30,000 in donations but, of course, although it sounds like a lot of money, when you remember that we are talking about over 500 birds, it's not so much...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Bird woman » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:11 pm

That would only be enough for the basics for that many birds. health issues that may be found in the CBC panel could run that full amount for continued care for just a few of the birds. Sad situation indeed .BW :(
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:38 pm

The ferry alone is around $200 CA for a return trip each time they transported some, and they did have a lot of disease. It is such a terrible thing. I Probably mentioned this before but Greyhaven was needing a new home and used their money for that, as well as, trying hard to get those donations. They volunteered their time having to travel to the Island to do it. They really did good work, in a hard situation. The Seattle rescue provided some help too. There is a ferry that runs from Seattle to Victoria, some points of the year and one that runs from Port Angles to Victoria, or they would have had to drive to Vancouver to Ferry across. Some may have flown. Just the travel expenses are high. The staff was so busy mving the parrots to Vancouver they had no time to respond to a lot of emails. I miss looking at Port Angeles across the water, but one of the things I dont miss,is when you live on an Island like that, it is expensive to leave it.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

PreviousNext

Return to General & Off Topic