Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pictures of Parrots With Toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Pictures of Parrots With Toys

Postby liz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:58 pm

I love it. Rickybird is a busy bird.

Rambo came to me without toys. It never dawned on me that he would want a toy. He kept himself busy talking and finding trouble to get into.
Myrtle came with one toy. I made her a few before I could get out and get her some. She liked the cat ball with a bell in it but they were short lived. I got her a couple of hard plastic dog balls with another ball in it and a bell in that. She had a great time with it. I still didn't think of Rambo with a toy but he found that one and beat himself up trying to teach it a lesson. It is still his favorite.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 am

I really enjoyed the "Love it or hate it" thread.

Deb gave me some new insights on the purpose of toys. The star toy at our house is still the bouncy-ball, aka the Demon of Bounce, who routinely assaults our hero for no good reason while he is whacking it against the floor.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Georges mom » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:42 pm

George came to me in an empty cage so I pretty much just went out and bought him all kinds of parrot toys I could find. Ordered some too. He has a gazillion toys now and loves them all. I do rotate them too so he doesn't get bored. His favorite toys are stacking cups and a med size soccer ball that sits in his "fort box". I push bit towards him and he raises his leg to stop it then pushes it with his beak. Someone taught him that. All of his favs he puts in his fort box. I do think he likes my homemade toys the best cuz he can shred them. I make him all kinds of concoctions out of cardboard tissue rope and such. He's crazy fun :D
Georges mom
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:27 am

Well, I think you might be misreading his actions. The leg lifting as you describe is not something that anybody has to teach an amazon or a game. They do it naturally and he is telling you he is not happy and to get 'that thing' (which could also be your hand) away from him.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Georges mom » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:56 pm

You know, I never really thought about that in that he could actually not like that. Next time we play I'll roll the ball to the side and see if he goes after it or ignores it. He likes to push it into fort box which is on the floor and I'm wondering now if that is to keep me from rolling it???? :o
Georges mom
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow naped amazon parrot
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:50 am

:lol: Could be! They are VERY smart and often figure out ways of preventing us from doing something they don't like. I never had an amazon that liked balls -my cockatoos love them though- but that doesn't mean they don't, only that I never had one. What all the zons I've had have liked are large swings with things hanging down from the middle of the superior arch (so it kind of hangs right above their heads when they are standing on the swing) - they like to beat the crap out of these things while hanging on to the swing from different angles.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:59 am

MAYBE the Rickeybird's preferences are typical of his species. I wouldn't be surprised, from what I have learned about their habitat. His skinny little cockatiel feet are not very good at climbing or balancing on one foot while playing with a big toy. Doesn't like swings at all. A hanging toy that's too heavy can knock him off his perch if he gets too vigorous with it. When be battles his victims, he like to stand on a skinny perch, the better to get his feet completely around and "locked". The best victims are hanging, light-weight and beakable... he LOVES to slam things against the bars... it's Patagonian percussion! And of course I keep a variety of sizes and textures of perches elsewhere about the cage. But outside, the cage, MANNNNN does he love to run. So balls and chaseable things are good. Relative to other parrots I have seen walking/running... he's pretty graceful. Those flexible little feet lend themselves to speed. He lowers his head almost to the ground and zooms off. From the side he makes me think of the roadrunner cartoon, head down, long tail out straight behind. I should teach him to say MEEP MEEP!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:39 pm

I think i might be Gaugans favorite toy, she is always flipping herself upside down and will hang from my fingers upside down....lol
Attachments
forum playfull.jpg
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby galeriagila » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Man.
She looks FASSSST! Little and fasssssst!
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:58 am

My senegals are always hanging upside down from my chest, they don't do it on my fingers but then, I hardly ever have them on my hands... could it be a Poi thing?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY