Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does your bird like to hide or crawl into things?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Does your bird like to hide or crawl into things?

Postby Strawfrawg » Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 pm

My cockatiel loved to spend most of the day in a "cave" that I outfitted with toys and mirror. If I got near it, the monster would emerge and chase me away. I thought it was a habit peculiar to him, but Marvin also likes being under and in things. A blanket-cave will keep him busy for a hour straight and he can be territorial about them. Yes, he is a proven male, and so was Weebo.

Do your birds like to hide or hang out in boxes, bags, "tents", and tunnels? I wouldn't think this would be something most species were into, but I've been wrong twice!
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Does your bird like to hide or crawl into things?

Postby Brittanyv326 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:28 pm

I've never gotten Sadie (my Sennie) a box or tent but she has never crawled into my shirt or a blanket or anything like that. She sometimes leans against me or rolls on her back on me if we're sitting together and definitely loves to snuggle. Sometimes she just loves me wrapping my hand around her loosely and so do I, it's the closest thing to a hug I can get! hahaha.
Brittanyv326
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal.

Postby KimberlyAnn » Fri May 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Oh yes! Emmi has destroyed the green coloring on her back/wing feathers because of the couch pillow. I don't have a recent video, but here's one from about a month ago when she was getting tired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE6ufBx ... ata_player

She will never truly be able to hide...not with that big white eye. Haha Now she runs out of the pillow between my husband and I. She is not interested in staying in there. She has to surprise us. If we don't pay attention, she will dash out and then stand there and look at us until she sees us looking back and then runs in the pillow again to do it all over again. If we really are not paying attention, then she lightly bites our arm as if to say, "We are playing a game remember?" Lately she's been actually surprising me by shooting out of the pillow on her chin at a dead run. She's so fast when she does this. Even faster when she found a magazine the other day. She had no interest chewing it...just wanted to shoot across it like a race car. Lol

Normally she pops out and we wiggle our fingers at her and she lifts her feet to bat at us or turns on her back and grabs at our fingers like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pctNwI ... ata_player

^^^ But she normally does not fly away like that. We both got startled by the neighbor dropping something. That's just the best video I got. Lol I need to get another one. Just hard to hold my big phone and play at the same time. Lol It's so funny how she uses her feet. Sometimes she just waves her foot outside the pillow waiting for a finger. Lol

She even will pop out and then play dead before I get a chance to lift my hand. Like a wild bird lol I have not caught on to what she wants me to to when she does this and I just wait for her to look at me and get up and peck my arm lightly again to remind me we are playing. Lol What do you do with that? Poke them? Lol I don't know what she's expecting, but my vet says just let her do that and it might even mean she was parent raised after all. She said she's seen some of the smaller parrots play dead and it will come out in play sometimes.

But this is a game we must do nightly. She will chirp at the pillow and pace until we put it into position. It goes on for a loooong time and she only asks for it before bed so it's our routine. We know she's done when she climbs on our lap and cuddles in our hands. Then it's bedtime.

But I'm not kidding when I say it messes up her feathers. She looks like she has serious bed head when she's done. Lol All that turning around under the pillow. We tried the same thing with a cut open paper bag and a heavy blanket. She went in, but came out again, but didn't want to play. Just not the same I guess.
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Strawfrawg » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Brittany...I love the name Sadie. If I had a girl, that would have been my choice. I love the lean and hug. It's the sweetest thing ever. Marvin always lands on me when I'm changing my shirt, and he likes it when I pull the shirt over both of us. He hangs out for a minute with just his head peeking out of the collar, pressed against my neck. It's one of my favorite things he does.

Kimberly Ann, Emmi really is such a character...I love reading about/seeing her antics. I get it about the feathers, since Marvin ends up looking like Donald Trump by the time he's done "hiding". I'm still working on getting decent videos of him. If the phone comes out, he wants to get over on my side of it because at the vet we watch bird or music videos, or else clips of his TV idol, Gordon Ramsay, while he's waiting to be seen. His attachment to Gordon is bizarre, I swear. But anyway, hiding games are hilarious. Marvin is learning to play hide and seek...I put him on his cage and say "I'm going to hide", then I go into another room and call him. He flies arouond looking for me and chirps triumphantly when he succeeds. This photo is the best I can get when Marvin is doing something cute...no matter he's been doing, they ALL end up like this:
Attachments
IMG_1479.JPG
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby KimberlyAnn » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Hahaha @ Donald Trump!

Mine come out like that a lot too. They move way too fast and they are like "Phone! Stand still and wait to attack!"

Ramsay is quiet animated. That's got to be it! I don't know how many times we have had to watch Bowie talks to Angry Bird. But it's daily. Everyone in our house can recite that video, in the same accent too. Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5b3g1I ... ata_player
My family: "Emmi" Green Cheek Conure (12/15/2012), One husband, two step kids, and one baby boy born in January 2015!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:46 am

I've never known a GCC that did not love sleeping in a hut. I have a bonded pair that share a flight cage and there is a single hut there so they both get in together, sometimes one on top of the other -LOL. Quakers love them too. Sennies, on the other hand, are not so much into huts but do love to hide behind or inside things only not for sleeping.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby KimberlyAnn » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:58 am

I have often thought about getting Emmi a hut, but so many say no because of breeding behavior. What are your thoughts?
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby Strawfrawg » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:22 am

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!! Bowie is ADORABLE! Never seen him before. Thanks for posting that!

No thoughts on a hut for Emmi. I only have experience with boys. :senegal: :greycockatiel:
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby KimberlyAnn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:01 am

Emmi turned hormonal after I wrote this. Ahhhhhhh! She only showed signs twice, but no more peek-a-boo for awhile and no huts lol oh well.

And yes, Bowie is a ham!
KimberlyAnn
Amazon

Postby Froggiebabie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:14 am

3 of mine sleep with me in my bed but on their own blanket on the corner by my head and they love it they run in there :sun: :meyers: :gcc:
Froggiebabie
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: Fancy conure
Green cheek conure
White winged parakeets
Parakeets
Mayors parrot
Cocketiel
Flight: No

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY