Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

I think Chance is an "Alex"

Want to teach your bird talk? Learn about and discuss methods for training birds to vocalize and mimic different sounds on cue.

I think Chance is an "Alex"

Postby GreenWing » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:56 pm

I mean, in terms of intelligence and huge vocab.

It's so strange, I have conversations with Chance. She always asks me if I'm okay. "You okay? YOU OKAY? Are you okay? What're doingggg?" It's crazy! It's like I live with a feathered person with the temperament of a spoiled child... "Step up! NOW! NOOOOOWWWWW! Pleeeeease step up." She can be polite when she wants :shock:

And she laughs. It surprises people. She called my brother a "Russian" (?? I know, what the heck) and also says hello in another language that she picked up.

The intelligence of Chance is really shocking. Parrots don't "parrot" back words. Chance actually understands and yells and demands things. "Some water? Can I have some water? A cup of water?" SERIOUSLY it's amazing. I honestly can't say how many words she can speak because it's off the charts! She will argue with you, tell you to "STOP! BE NICE!" The intelligence of these beings are probably the same of dolphins!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: I think Chance is an "Alex"

Postby Wolf » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Nope! Chance is unique, but is every bit as intelligent as Alex was, of that I have no doubt. But she is also unique in the manner that she applies her intelligence. Alex Also knew what things were and he demanded to have certain things or he would refuse to be cooperative with the testing. Chance has so much a better life and instead of being a lab animal she is loved and lives in a real home and that alone gives her so much more of a chance to learn and grow than anything that Alex ever had the opportunity to do.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: I think Chance is an "Alex"

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:22 am

I do believe that parrots can learn to speak cognitively BUT I also think that, very often, we 'read' more into their vocalizations than it's actually warranted... we tend to anthropomorphize too much, I think (and I am as guilty as anybody else, mind you!).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Training Parrot Vocalizations