Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pictures of you with your birds

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pictures of you with your birds

Postby galeriagila » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:49 am

Big thanks to George's mom... it WAS fun... I decided not to use any manufactured scrapbook paraphernalia, so I drew everything myself. The RB is one of a kind and so is his scrapbook.

Pajarita, I have a confession. Once upon a time about 30 years ago, a person at as party at my house let the RB drink some wine from his glass... that was back in the day before the RB became a rooster... he was still a baby and friendly to everybody, drank out of their cups, etc. I found out and kicked the person out and immediately took the RB into a quiet room. I never forgave that person, ever. So the RB apparently just had a good buzz and was very happy. For years after that he was very interested in people with wine, but he never got another drop. Now I think he's forgotten. I think he would happily have become a wino.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:45 am

Yes, parrots seem to enjoy a good 'buzz'. There is something in Australia called 'the drunken parrot season' because red collared lories would eat rotten fruit (fermentation causes the sugar in the fruit to become alcohol) and get very drunk on it -unfortunately for them, it's so unhealthy that A LOT of them actually die.

See here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... son-Begins

http://blog.gmedical.com/locums-for-a-s ... rot-season

Many, many years ago, we had a rat terrier that, whenever we had a party at home (this was the 70's and we had parties all the time then), I had to tell everybody NEVER to put their drinks on the floor or he would drink from them and get drunk. We had adopted this dog not knowing he was a lush and had not taken any precautions the first time it happened and the poor thing got so drunk he couldn't walk straight. My husband thought it was very funny but I was very alarmed! Thankfully, he slept it off and was OK the next day - but it's not the same with birds so I am glad you quickly put a stop to it and threw out the idiot!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Yep! I almost LITERALLY kicked him out.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:33 am

Anyone who trys to give my parrots alcohol, would be kicked to the curb! Ohhhh and i adored your scrap book Gail.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby galeriagila » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks, SeaGoatDeb! I will keep a scrapbook for as long as we both shall live, I suppose.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby galeriagila » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:40 pm

As promised, I managed to dig this ancient @1953 photo out. It shows yours truly with one of my first avian friends... a little turkey poult in my grandparents' back yard. They kept turkeys and ornamental fowl. Yes, I'm topless... I was young and wild.

galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:16 pm

:lol: SOOOO cute!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:24 pm

Thank you!

I had no siblings or peers... just grown-ups and birds.
I think that's where the whole issue started.
:lol:
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:07 am

I agree. I was born in a house with birds and my grandmother, who lived with us, loved birds with a passion and got me 'into' them from an early age (I was her favorite because I inherited my grandfather's hazel eyes and the doctors said I would die when I was 2 years old from a really weird disease). So, yes, I do believe that exposing young children to birds and teaching them what marvelous creatures they are does plant the seed that, as we get older, makes us bird lovers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby galeriagila » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 am

So, out of the blue...
I want to hug an ostrich... it's on my bucket list.
I've hugged a big, friendly, ancient Tom Turkey. He was a warm feathery giant. Smelled like a cockatoo... like sunny dusty cotton hung outside on a line to dry... it was wonderful, but the final frontier is an ostrich. We have a couple of ostrich farms in Ohio. I keep meaning to call them...
galeriagila
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales