Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Green Cheek Conur gone sour, need help!

Postby liz » Mon May 11, 2015 11:09 am

These babies respond like little kids. My rule with my kids was to choose my battles. If I knew something was going to set them off I just didn't alow them to get in that situation.
Example: my son was a very picky eater. Between 1 and 2 years old when he should have been developing his taste buds, he was having really high fevers from inner ear infections. (He needed tubes in his ears but the military hospital on the base I was stationed kept putting it off). His father constantly yelled at him while we were eating and he developed a phobia about food.
The solution was to feed both kids before their dad got home. I chose foods for the meal that he could also pick from.
They always got into it at the skating rink. One scatted better than the other and the lesser was always being instructed how to skate so it was not fun. The solution was to alternate Saturdays.

If he bites you in a situation, don't get in that situation. If it means not touching him, go back to scared bird training.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: Green Cheek Conure gone sour, need help!

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon May 11, 2015 6:38 pm

O
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby mikella » Tue May 12, 2015 10:28 am

Astep30 - You may find my thread in the introductions part of the forum pretty interesting to look through. Adopted 5 year old male green cheek in kind of similar situation, neglected. He's been with us for two months now. Lots of changes made to his care, lots of challenges, long way to go. I agree with Wolf, ask your landlord, show him a picture of him in his cage, tell him you're really in a bind and love him very much. Fingers crossed for you. If your mother is not caring for him properly, someone needs to step up and do so... Regardless of him being bonded to her, I think...
mikella
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 12, 2015 11:24 am

Yep, that's also my impression: super hormonal and angry at you. This added to the neglect (GCCs need more one-on-one time than other species and it cannot be done at night when the bird is tired and cranky and should be asleep) and the bad diet, has made him very irritated with all people but most particularly with you because YOU were his human and, in his mind, you abandoned him. But the good news is that parrots are very forgiving and, if you really want to put work into the relationship, it can be repaired.

A word of caution. Please think very carefully about whether there is any future for this relationship because unless you will make him your own, it would not be right to get him to bond with you again just to disappear from his life in some near future. If you cannot commit for the next 10 or 15 years to him and your mother doesn't really want to put the work into it, it would be best for him to be rehomed to somebody who is willing and able to give him the kind of close relationship he needs to be happy.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:29 am

I havent been exposed to every parrot out there but GGCs are a nippy species. They have little beaks so they arent as scary as some of the bigger birds at least, but it is very common for someone to get a conure and then they go through a nippy stage and then they wonder what happened to their sweet little parrot. You just have to preserve and work through with retraining and nippy periods, and you will have periods where your counure is a sweetie again. It takes a lot of time and attention to keep a conure happy.

There are some conures that are less nippy, but most of the ones I have met could have nippy as their middle name. When I went next door to babysit the parrots when my daughter was on holidays, the Pois were very easy, and it may be because I "get" them easily, but the conure was a challenge.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 am

No, no, no, GCCs nippiness fame is completely undeserved, they are the sweetest things when given what they need. The problem with them is that they are very difficult to care for by people with normal lifestyles because they need more than other species - like cockatoos.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:29 pm

L
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Well I can really notice the difference between the conure and the Pois. Here the two pois i watchd both had the attitude like 'oh no my humans are gone, but here is a friend from a different flock, lets be really good for her, shes all we have" The conure was like,' I can fly and i am so fast that I will do what i want and catch me if you can.....not"

My daughters conure is well adjusted but he tests with nipping and they have to be up on it. He is definately more nippy than all 4 of our Pois and many say pois are a nippy species.

GGC deserve the nippy in my opinion, so agree to disagree, but that doesnt mean they are not nice parrots because they are characters and so funny and acrobatic. I am only saying nippy as compared to other parrots and of course they are all individuals and some will not be nippy at all.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Well, I've had four altogether - all of them came to me as adults and all of them were given up because of their aggression so I am not saying that they cannot be aggressive, they certainly can! Sheesh, Boca, a male that had been either severely neglected or perhaps even abused, was a HOLY TERROR! But in all four cases, the aggression disappeared in a matter of weeks -and that tells me that they are inherently sweet-natured.

What I am saying is that when they love and trust you, are content with their life and not overly hormonal, they are the sweetest little things! Super affectionate, easy going and wanting nothing else but to be cuddling with you all the time, never biting or even nipping. The problem is that the right GCC husbandry is hard to accomplish for anybody with a normal lifestyle or who doesn't do enough research about their diet and that's why they have gotten this 'nippy' reputation. But I don't think it's fair to label a species aggressive when the animal is merely reacting out of unhappiness and/or physical discomfort.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:10 pm

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care