Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does your parrot actually enjoy training?

Chat about general parrot care and parrot owner lifestyle. Bird psychology, activities, trimming, clipping, breeding etc.

Re: Does your parrot actually enjoy training?

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:45 pm

L
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Cage Cleaner » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:47 pm

E
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:11 am

Cage Cleaner wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Uh? I am confused... I didn't go back much but I don't think we were talking about foraging, were we?

You are confused because you do not understand the role that foraging plays in behavior, including training. Seagoatdeb nailed it, and is right.

OK, maybe I don't understand something so why don't you explain it and provide reputable links that support your theory? It would be greatly appreciated.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm

S
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:35 pm

Sorry, when it comes to parrots, the only 'common knowledge' is that there is no such thing :lol: But if you can't provide links or explanation, that's OK, not everybody is willing or able to debate a subject.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:05 pm

R
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:17 pm

As we can all see by the answer given, this discussion is finished.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:29 pm

Pajarita wrote:As we can all see by the answer given, this discussion is finished.

I dont think its finished just because you didnt understand where Cage Cleaner was coming from when she said to go back and reread, or when she pointed to where to look for your own answers. Most people do not want to debate and some people do not want to be told they must find links for someone else. But that doesnt mean they dont want to continue on a topic that is of interest to them.

We can all talk about if we think our parrots enjoy training, its a great topic. We can help each other to understand our parrots better, and the role training plays. We all have different perspectives and what we say will resonate with different people.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby seagoatdeb » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:38 pm

One of the ways I have trained Gaugan is through my play fighting with her. Since she already flipped herself upside down on my hand , i would say upside down when she did it. She loves her play fighting so when I started to say upside down and she "got it" i would praise her and make my clicking sound and play more. Her rewards were being able to play longer and praise. She learned "right side up", "feet" when i wanted her to hang on to me with her feet. She enjoys it, i have no doubt.

Another thing I trained her to do is to shake her head for no, so when i ask her if she wants something, like a treat she will either shake her head vigourously for no, or tip forward for yes. If I say "take a taste" she will take a small taste before she shakes her head no.The more she disikes something the more vigorous the head shake....lol...Banana pieces are very disliked.

So far Sunny likes everything so no point in teaching him the head shake.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:20 am

seagoatdeb wrote:
Pajarita wrote:As we can all see by the answer given, this discussion is finished.

I dont think its finished just because you didnt understand where Cage Cleaner was coming from when she said to go back and reread, or when she pointed to where to look for your own answers. Most people do not want to debate and some people do not want to be told they must find links for someone else. But that doesnt mean they dont want to continue on a topic that is of interest to them.

We can all talk about if we think our parrots enjoy training, its a great topic. We can help each other to understand our parrots better, and the role training plays. We all have different perspectives and what we say will resonate with different people.

The discussion is finished with her.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to General Parrot Care