Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Panting

Discuss indoor freeflight and managing freeflighted birds around the house. How to live with a flighted parrot.

Panting

Postby Navre » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:27 am

My Greencheek flies all over the place. The best I can describe it is that she sometimes flies in the manic manner a puppy would run. Loops, circles, to my head, to my shoulder, to the curtain rods, to the top of the cabinets, to her stand, aaaannnndddd repeat. She get to the point that she is open-mouth panting. I worry that she is over-exerting herself. She will land back on me, panting, with even the occasional "click" in her breathing.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Panting

Postby liz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:39 am

She would not do it if it was too stressful for her. She is having fun. Myrtle does laps around my house because it has an open floor plan. It must be fun because she does parrot calls while flying. She also pushes herself to the limit and pants.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 am

As long as she is not flying like this from panicing she will be fine as she will not hurt herself by overdoing it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks. I've just never seen a bird pant like this unless they had been toweled.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:56 am

Then the strenuous exercise will actually benefit her and, one day, she will stop panting (it's like when you first start jogging).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Indoor Freeflight