Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mimi's Progress

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Mimi's Progress

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:04 am

With Mimi and her issues, the hard part was mostly just being patient enough to let her realise that no one was going to try to force her to do or not do anything, that she was free to make up her own mind. It was harder in the very beginning due to the nearly non stop screaming. It was both nerve wracking and very painful on the ears, which made self control very difficult. She has done all of the real work.

All of the birds that I have came with their own baggage as they were all unhappy with their previous life situations, Most of them just needed time to heal and to allow some of their memories to begin to fade, Kiki was the other that was the most difficult for me due to her biting Which took over a year to change and she is the one that ended it after testing me to see if I would trust her despite all of her biting of me.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:57 am

Yes, they do the 'hard' job BUT they cannot do it if one doesn't give them the opportunity by keeping them under good husbandry and that's where YOUR merit comes from, Wolf.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:03 am

Well I have good news. Mimi is finally acting almost like a normal bird, she comes out of her cage and although she does not climb or fly down to the floor, she climbs to other birds cages to play on top of them as well as just hanging out on her tree or rope boing or even on the other birds playtops when the other bird is not at home. Just this last week she has started giving my Lady kisses. She mostly just hangs out in her cage while my Lady is at work, but she is coming out more often while she is gone but when my Lady is home, Mimi will hang out out of her cage for most of the day. She asks her to come and get her so she can spend time on her and she is now picking up on the things that we say and does not seem to be bothered by new people when we have visitors. So all is going well and she is letting go of all f the restrictions and rules that she lived under for 14 years. It has been a long road for her, but she is finally becoming free of her previous life and starting to act like her own bird.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:33 am

Great news! How long did it take? Two years? Three?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:48 pm

oh Wolf that is so wonderfull!
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby liz » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:18 am

Wolf, I just love reading about Mimi. You are such a patient gentleman and she would probably not respond in a different home.

It is wonderful about her progress.

I have learned with Myrtle that they have excellent memory recall. About 3 weeks ago I had to put Rainbow and Myrtle out on the deck for a couple hours. Rainbow is easy. She goes along with about anything I ask. She comes to me and rides on me but if I try to get her she freaks. I had to catch her to put her in her cage. Since then she is not coming to my shoulder as much as before.
If I reach out to touch her even for a tickle she will fly away. After all these years she is recalling how she was treated before.

I have had to go back to the trusting stage and start all over.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 am

Mimi came to live with us in Feb. of 2014, so it has been almost 3 years for her to heal mentally and emotionally to get to where she is at today. I think that although they are not actually friends that Kookooloo has been a major influence in helping her to heal as well as to learn that she had a new life where she could be pretty much as she chose to be. She has always watched everything that Kookooloo does very closely. I also think that I have to give Kiki credit as well because Mimi has always been fascinated with Kiki flying around all over the place and being allowed to do so. Of course the actual work had to be done by Mimi herself and I am sure that was the hardest part of it all.

I am so proud of her !! :thumbsup: :D
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:55 am

Me too! Proud of her and her humans! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Well Mimi has chosen the past two weeks to make more improvements. Well, truth be know they are improvements for her but make things more difficult for me, and it has come at a time when I have been having more health difficulties than I have previously had to contend with.

Mimi has begun to start flying about in the house and landing on some of my Lady's favorite pieces of wooden furniture and on other bird's cages. Luckily for us she has not landed on any of the larger bird's cages, just on the smaller bird's cages and only when I was there to protect all of them from the other ones. she is flying to and from her rope swing, the furniture, her tree and her own cage as well as the smaller bird's cages. She is becoming quite the active bird and for me, the progress is just absolutely amazing to see.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:31 pm

That is great. With your care she may become a brat bird like some others (mine). Does she listen to the word no or have you just not said it yet.

I have always loved to hear Mimi's progress. I doubt it would have happened had she not been with you.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales