Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

China Prairie sprouted diet

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

China Prairie sprouted diet

Postby Mr.Darcy » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:44 pm

Hey all,
I am still researching all the various aspects of parrot ownership while I wait for Mr. Darcy to grow up....The lastest I have read about is all sprouted and fruit/veggie diet, no pellets. I heard about this company China Prairie Company and i am wondering what the general consensus is.....It seems like a lot of work that may fall victim to time constraits of life. I anticipate that getting the daily food ready will be time consuming, I just don't know it the benefits of a spouted diet will outweigh the work involved....
Thanks
Marlies :macaw3:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou

:macaw3: :meyers: and Marlies
Mr.Darcy
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Hahn's macaw
Meyer's parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: China Prairie sprouted diet

Postby pchela » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:04 pm

I sprout for my birds. I'm not familiar with China Prairie but I will tell you that sprouting is really easy. I soak my seeds overnight and then rinse them twice a day for a couple of days. Then they go in the fridge and I serve daily. When I'm getting low I repeat the process. Rinsing takes about a minute. I spent about $15 on a hemp sprouting bag and the seeds from a health food store are really inexpensive. I also make glop once a week to serve daily and give them frozen veggies daily and some fresh fruit. Couldn't be easier. Hope this helps with your decision.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet