Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal compatibility with other parrots?

Macaws, Cockatoos, Greys, Poicephalus, Conures, Lovebirds, Parrotlets, Parakeets etc. Discuss topics related to specific species of parrots and their characteristics, mutations, pros, and cons.

Re: Senegal compatibility with other parrots?

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Robert1951 wrote:Thank you, for your answer. They would be in the same room so that could be a problem not worth getting into. Would a Quaker get along with the Parakeets better?

Thank you,
Robert1951

It's not so much the species but the individual parrot BUT most parrots will perch on another parrot's cage - some of them can't seem to resist the temptation :D My female Senegal, Zoey, likes to perch on Pablo and Codee's cage. Usually, Codee GCC is not in it because this is the time that they all come out to fly and she is always on me at this time but Pablo Peachfront is severely handicapped and cannot fly or even perch without risking his falling off so he stays in his cage all the time and Zoey, knowing this, loves to bother him :roll: . But all I have to do is say her name in an "I am warning you!" tone of voice for her to fly off -and I don't even have to be in the same room because I can tell by Pablo's vocalizations when she is doing it and, as soon as I say "ZOEEEEEY!!!", I can hear her flying away :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Robert1951 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:19 am

Would a Meyers get along with my wife's 4 parakeets better than Senegal. I'm trying to find a bird that won't kill or be obsessed with the parakeets and make a lot of noise.
Thank you,
Robert1951
Robert1951
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Again, it's not the species, it's the individual bird. Parrots are not like dogs of which one can, to a certain extend, have expectations of behaviors going by the breed they are. There are generalizations that one can make going by species but the range of normal behaviors within each species is so wide that nobody could actually answer the question you are asking. I am, usually, able to get birds to get along with one another but I am not, by any means, infallible on it, either! And, right now, I am having problems with one bird that was severely traumatized by another - and she wasn't even attacked, she was just pursued...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Robert1951 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Thank you, it's just like people some are nice some not so nice.
Robert1951
Robert1951
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Parrot Species