Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pajarita's update

Place to share personal stories, pictures and videos of your parrot.

Re: Pajarita's update

Postby galeriagila » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:59 pm

That's so very sweet, Pajarita.

I'm sure I'll miss him forever. I dug a deep hole under some shrubs in front of the window where his cage was hanging for the last 7 years of his life. I like to think that bugs ate him and/or the shrub made berries out of him, and then the berries and bugs got eaten by birds and so now he's flying again.
galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:19 am

Beautiful thought. And now he flies.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:59 am

It IS a beautiful thought! Shame you are not closer to me! I would give you one of the Timbrado babies from next year... And let me tell you that you never really heard a canary singing until you hear a purebred Timbrado! I am always amazed that such power, range and beauty of sound can be achieved with those tiny throats and chests! So, if you are ever in the area, let me know and I will bring one to you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:49 am

A bit of an update: Sunny is eating his fruits every day now and (drumroll!) she not only comes out of her cage on her own (not every single day but often) but she actually flew from her cage to my shoulder three times!!!! (she is now hanging from the neck of my housedress on my chest, Sweetpea Senegal is on my left knee, Zoey Senegal on my right shoulder and Isis Redbelly is perching on top of the laptop screen fly-bombing my hands because I am not scratching her head as she wants me to :lol: )

Linus barbered some of his feathers and I am sure it was because Sophie CAG evicted him from his 'nest' so she could take over it. She actually abandoned it (it's just a corner of the room with wood for Linus to chew) in a couple of days but he has not gone back to it, yet. He has been putting himself 'in the corner' (he actually runs to another corner of the room and stands there looking to the wall as if he was been punished :( ) and I have found little pieces of barbered feathers there. But it's not something I did not expect because, with pluckers that have been doing it for years (and I know for a fact that Linus was already all plucked in 2009), there is always the 'two steps forward, one step back' thing -at least at the beginning.

Sophie CAG did not lay another egg but she has been VERY mushy and affectionate - no problem there, it's exactly what should be happening this time of the year so all is good.

Cherry Lovie came out to fly yesterday and I was lucky that she went into Mami and Naida's cage and could catch her. This morning, she came out again and she is still flying around without getting any breakfast... Her wings have gotten much stronger and now she flies up high (I have 10 ft walls) which makes it real hard for me to catch her (not that catching her is good but it is the only way I have of putting her back in her cage). Aside from that, she is doing very well, eating her gloop, greens and even some fruits.

Pookey TAG is doing the tiniest bit better - at least, it seems so to me. But I am still very worried about her...

We have a new visitor, actually more a boarder than a visitor. It's a little dog, supposed to be a Chihuahua but, in reality, it's some kind of mix (I think he is 3/4 Chihuahua and 1/4 pug but who knows). There was this ad on CL, a young man who was moving out of his girlfriend's apt and needed somebody to care for his dog until he could save some money and move to a place of his own and I felt bad for him and his dog. He said his girlfriend had never liked the dog and he sounded quite desperate because he had no money to pay for boarding but he did not want to take him to a rescue so I told him I would do it. His name is supposed to be Onyx but the young man admitted that he did not respond to it because he was used to been called LittleLittle. The little dog is delightful but he is not housebroken AT ALL (lifts his leg all over the place and even poops inside!) and he has never seen a vet (no shots, no neutering, no deworming, not even flea meds!!!) so my husband is not very happy about the whole thing because it means we will have to pay for everything - he also says that the young man will not come back for him... we'll see.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Amazing coincidence.
A skinny ittle red mutt recently adopted us, just walked into the house. We could find no owner so she stayed. Looks just like a little chihuahua mix.
Yeah, we kept her.
galeriagila
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby liz » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:39 am

Potty training for a dog is the same as a child. Take him out to potty every two hours. I also keep a pee pad near the dog door for when my girls don't want to go outside.

Their constant little tweets are very relaxing.

I love hearing about you babies.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:23 pm

I am usually quite good at housebreaking dogs -mainly because I am home all day long (I can let them out VERY often), I have dogs that already are housebroken (dogs learn from one another, too) and I have a fenced-in (and very secure!) backyard but, once a dog is an adult and he has not been neutered, he has already gotten into the habit of marking territory all over the place so it takes longer. Chicho shihpoo was adopted because he was going to be returned for the third time to a kill shelter because he was not housebroken at all (and three strikes is a death sentence for any dog in a kill shelter!), it has taken me a couple of years to get him to a point where he only wears diapers at night and it will take me another couple to get him to stop altogether. I don't mind the extra work but it pisses me off that people buy puppies and put them in crates all day long when they go to work, then, when the puppy never learns to go outside, they get rid of it! This guy was not honest at all about this issue but, at least, he is trying to keep him...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Sammie's Mama » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi......
I love reading your stories too. I so miss having a dog, my last furry baby was my 8 lb. little schnauzer Charlie. He passed away 5yrs. ago from cancer, I had him for 12 yrs. I now have Sammie, 2 indoor kitty's and 8 feral neutered kitty's that I take good care of. Good luck with your new doggies, and take care.
Sammie's Mama
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Goffin Cockatoo

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:53 am

Oh, I am so sorry about your Charlie, Sammie's momma! I had a dog named Charlie, too (he was the most intelligent dog I've ever had!) and have a giant schnauzer/golden retriever mix right now, his name is Rocky. We had rescued him as a puppy and adopted him out and, by the time he was returned because he had not 'worked out', he was terrified of people so Lord know what that man had done to him! It took me three years to get that dog to come to me for love of his own initiative... But he turned into the best dog ever!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:37 am

My little girls go through the dog door like the others. I keep a pee pad at that door in case they do not want to go out for some reason. I have also seen them use it and then go out.

If you like driving then the two of you are not that far apart. Wolf drove from NC to NJ for a bird from Pajarita.
While still in NC my daughter had to drive to VA to get Gimpy from a rescue that had contacted me.

I went to the coast of SC from NC to get Myrtle. It was only 4 hours each way but I stopped over at a motel to give her time to give her time watch me before adding her to my active house.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

PreviousNext

Return to Parrot Tales