Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Where I stand on the Diet debate/Pellet reviews

Postby Cage Cleaner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

L
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:20 am

Apparently she was not able to find the nutritional information. Still the ingredient list is also very important and in addition to the nutritional information is what I go by when shopping for possible foods for my birds. Although I do not currently use pellets for my birds, I do keep looking at them and reading what is in them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:35 am

Cage Cleaner wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I looked up the Caitec site but could not find the nutritional values for the pellets anywhere. What I did notice was that, for example, the medium size ones are recommended for both conures and African grays, species that have completely different nutritional requirements when it comes to protein and fat so I don't know how good they can possibly be because the nutrition either 'fits' CAGs or, say, sun conures, it can't be for both.

You didn't read the nutritional info. Therefore the rest is disregardable.

:lol: Well, of course I did not read it! How could I if I did not find it? Why don't you post a link or type out the nutritional label so we can all learn?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 pm

T
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:58 pm

:lol: Wow, you really don't like been helpful, do you?

I did find one site that had all the ingredients and a bare bones nutritional info (just protein and fat min and fiber and moisture max, no actual vitamin or mineral levels breakdown) but I am not sure it's the same product. Is this the one that you are using?

http://www.goldencockatoo.com/6333.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Cage Cleaner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Nope.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Postby Navre » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:36 pm

I got a small bag of TOPS. A pet store had donated a bunch of food to our rescue and I figured I should buy something, so I bought some toys and a one pound bag of TOPS. My greencheek devoured the stuff. She ignored the Harrison's she has been eating for several years, and ate the TOPS. My TAG is a little underweight. It's the wrong time of year to try t convert him, so I toss some TOPS in with his Tropimix, and he seems to eat them.

The big question seems to be how much to feed. So much of the TOPS pellets end up at the bottom of the cage. My greencheek picks up a pellet, takes a bite, the rest crumbles to the bottom. It's so hard to say what she's actually eating, but she is going through quite a lot for a small bird.

TOPS sells a small pellet, but they say that birds who hold their food in their feet will always prefer th regular pellets. That does seem to make sense. She ate Harrison's coarse much more readily than the fine.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Rmoses » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:02 pm

Has anyone tried the Mazuri brand pellets?
Rmoses
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: white fronted amazon

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:23 pm

I don't feed any processed or dry food to my birds so, regardless of the brand, pellets are out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby NJBirdMan » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:45 pm

I'm going to follow Pajarita on this one. Right now I have 2 Gouldian Finches, and hope to get a Senegal in the Spring/Summer. I have tried Roudybush crumbles with my FInches. No go. They refuse them. So I don't plan on introducing pellets to my Senegal either.....

I had the same argument regarding Dog Food ------ Who was the bright bulb that decided Dogs should eat "Kibble"? How reliable is that food for dogs ? How good of a diet is dry kibble for Dogs?
I still worry about that with my 2 Dogs.

So I really have to also question how good of a diet is Pellets for birds in captivity. I'm not going that route.
Patrick
NJBirdMan
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Male Gouldian Finches, 1 Female Senegal Parrot

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet