Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Plucking

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Plucking

Postby Valerieholt » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:25 am

Fully understand that, thankyou once again, I will post in a few months to let you know how he's doing x
Valerieholt
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Black headed caique
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:13 pm

You also need to take into consideration the length of time the bird has been under a human light schedule (the longer it is, the more screwed up the endocrine system and the longer it will take for it to go back 'on track') plus the diet - because if you feed it too much protein, the bird could continue producing sexual hormones as diet is also a trigger.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Valerieholt » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Complicated aren't they, I love my treacle and I will do whatever I can to sort him out now I have had the right guidance,I've taken the shop bought parrot food away and he's been eating lots of fresh veg and fruit, with just a little piece of cheese for his breakfast, he's thouroughly enjoying himself, i'm assuming, and I know I probably shouldn't, but i'm assuming that there won't be protein in fresh veg and fruits, what seeds and nuts if any should I give him x
Valerieholt
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:06 pm

"Complicated" doesn't even begin to describe it, if you ask me! Please, no cheese. For one thing, it's made out of milk and parrots, not been mammals, don't have the enzyme necessary to break down and digest lactose. For another, it's fat and salt -not good for him!

Mine's dinner is a bit of cockatiel mix with a couple of nuts which vary -could be half a walnut, an almond, half a Brazil nut, a pistachio, a macadamia, etc. In the spring and summer, I increase the protein in this mix by adding hemp seeds to it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Valerieholt » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:09 pm

Crumbs, again I read on a caique forum about a small piece of cheese, so I will give him fresh fruit and veg with a small amount of the parrot mix and the odd nut, I have to say though, that today he was sitting with me and I was scratching his neck and there's a huge difference in the heat that used to be there, don't know if that's relevant to anything, he's not screeched or jumped or attacked himself today, he's still preening though but a lot calmer, he's a sweet bird, even though I can see the distress and what he's doing to himself he hasn't bitten me, for which i'm grateful lol
Valerieholt
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:15 am

I suppose that there could be any number of reasons for there to be a temperature chance in this area. I would think that it may have to do with the change in his diet. With the commercial food that you were feeding him, I would suspect that there was a significant amount of soy and soy products in the mix. Soy can cause a bird to pluck in specific areas due to an allergic reaction to the soy, which by the majority of my information is bad for them. Of course, I don't think that soy is good for humans either. I have read that due to allergic reactions and changes in their reproductive cycles that Australia has been considering banning all soy sold there in bird foods.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Valerieholt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:23 am

Well he's four now and has had the same food all this time without problems, could be they changed the mix, either way, he's not getting so much of it now, its fresh veg and fruit and he's absolutely living it, please don't think he never had any before, he did, he used to sit on the food waste bin in the kitchen everyday whilst I was cutting and peeling, it was his favourite place in the world,he had a real good time in there lol, but then I had a new kitchen fitted, almost three months and the bin is in a different p,ace now, I didn't think about it to be honest but he would've been getting some or most of his needs from in that little bin, another calm day for him and he's gone to his quiet room now to watch the sun go down and sleep
Valerieholt
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Valerieholt wrote:Well he's four now and has had the same food all this time without problems

This is a very common misconception. Diet doesn't necessarily change anything in their health or behavior immediately after they start eating it or even for years after. Things like too much protein and fat as well as too little calcium or vitamins take several years before the bird starts showing any symptoms (both physical and behavioral). And it's the same thing with intolerances although not with allergies. You can have an intolerance and not realize it until, one day, the problem appears to show up suddenly out of the blue, but it's not, it had been 'accumulating' for years.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Valerieholt » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:55 pm

Well i'm hoping that he will be able to turn things around now I have more of an understanding, i'm so very grateful to you x
Valerieholt
Parrotlet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:33 pm

That's exactly my thinking, too: make everything as healthy as it can be and eliminate stress as much as possible and let nature do the rest.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet