Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HOW CAN I KNOW ABOUT MY PARROT & HOW TO TRAIN HER?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

HOW CAN I KNOW ABOUT MY PARROT & HOW TO TRAIN HER?

Postby Farah » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:39 am

Hello friends,
Though i have 3 birds but i don't have any idea how to train them.
I have 1 parrot :redbelly: & 2 love birds :budgie: .
I need some helps from all of you.I need to know:
1. which kind of parrot I have ?(I DONNO THE NAME/FAMILY)
2.how can I train my parrot to talk?
Attachments
PARROT2.jpg
MY BIRD
Farah
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PARROT & Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: HOW CAN I KNOW ABOUT MY PARROT & HOW TO TRAIN HER?

Postby mmeager » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:32 am

There are many fantastic training guides on here, I suggest you read them all over and over!
Trust is a focal point on your relationship with your parrot, and although training can help to develop a lot of trust, trust is also needed before you can begin training. Parrots are very quick learners, but I believe you need to establish that trust before your parrot will be receptive to your wants.
And always remember that although a parrot species may be exceptionally good at talking, not every parrot of that species will talk, no matter of training. Each and every bird has their own personalities and characteristics irrespective of species.
mmeager
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ring Neck

Postby liz » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:43 am

Welcome the forum.

I do not train my birds. They learn like children. They pick up fasted on excited words. Myrtle's fastest word to pick up was YAY. She used it for a while then just put it in her library. One of the new ones is "Oh well". She picked it up from my aunt and now uses it back at her. If my aunt points her finger to tell Myrtle off, Myrtle will tell her "Oh well". It makes my aunt mad but it is her fault for saying it so much. Rainbow (Rambo) is pushing 32 now. She picked up a lot of his words. Some she has not yet learned how to use but owns the word and will pick up on it's meaning very soon. Rainbow has a favorite dog named Riddick. She will call Riddick and include "here boy" "come here" "quick quick" and whistles for him. Myrtle has picked up these words and will say them with Rainbow but does not yet know what they mean

They learn other things like children. While sitting on my shoulder she learned that the stove is hot. If I give them something from my plate I tell them it is hot and they try to a little bite first to see how hot.

Rainbow is my amazing one. She was mature when I got her and she educated me on Rainbow ways. I don't think she knew she was a parrot so did not teach me about parrots. She did give me a crash course in "Rainbow". I thought birds just mimicked. She came with a large vocabulary and knew how to use the words in sentences and phrases.

Rainbow is a problem solver. If Myrtle can't figure it out she will just tare it up. I have a thread "Rambo & Myrtle". I started the thread to let other members know their personalities and what they are capable of. If something happens to me my animals are in my will to go to my son. If he finds he cannot keep the parrots I told him to go on theparrotforum to see if another member would take them. With the info I give it will help whoever claims the to hit the ground running by already knowing what they are capable of and their personalities. (Each bird just like children have their own personalities that we have to learn to work with)

Read in the "Training" section to pick up info fast. If you have a question just post and you will get a response.

I am still in training after almost 6 years. I know very little about other parrots so I can only tell you about mine. Others will come on soon and help you. Just get started by reading "Training".
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:35 am

The bird that you posted the picture of is a Moustached parakeet, I think, here is a link to this parrot, https://www.parrots.org/encyclopedia/re ... d-parakeet Just as an aside lovebirds are also parrots, they are just smaller than what most people envision when they think of parrots.

As for training your birds it depends on several factors, such as the age of the parrots, how log you have had them, what you have or have not done as far as interacting with them and believe it or not their daily diet. So if you would kindly tell us a bit about your parrots we can point you in the right direction.

The very first thing that you will need to do is to win their trust as everything depends upon the birds trusting you and then loving you enough to want to be with you and the development of a bond with you. Without this trust you can not begin training them with any degree of success and while training can deepen this trust it can not create it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Bird woman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:03 pm

I to like Liz don't train persay , but really all our actions will result in positive or negative training of some sorts. To develope a habit or routine or even a vocabulary with a bird requires repetition , repetition , repetition ! Read , read , read , you can never know to much and there's always new studies and care info being discovered and discussed. My fids are treated like mischievous youngsters and setting boundaries with praise and rewards when they learn goes a long ways. This is what works for me. B.W.
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:26 am

I have been thinking about your post and although knowing more about your parrots lifestyle under your care would help a lot in giving you good advice about training I am going to give you two links or perhaps three that should help you a lot. The first link is describing the way that I start all of my birds off with and would use for young birds as well ( all of my birds were adults when they came to me). I am giving you the links to conserve on typing time as I am not a fast typist. Here is the first link. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15840

This second link was Written by Michael, the forums owner and it picks up where the first link leaves off, so please begin with the first link and then move on to this second one which is
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227

The third link was also written by Michael and it is his complete guide to basic training for parrots.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3637

At this point, I will say that I do not always agree with all of Michaels methods for training, but that is something that you will have to weigh and decide on for yourself.

The first and primary thing that you need to do is to gain your parrots trust, if it does not trust you then it will not bond with you and without this bond you will not get very far with any training. Training can help to deepen a bond once it has been established but training can not create the bond, only trust can do this.

I hope that this will help you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Farah » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:07 am

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I did not mentioned 1 thing that my bird is adult and most probably wild.i have just bought it 4/5 days earlier. the man who sold it said its a female but i searched for it & found its a male. IS IT CORRECT?
so, he don't like to communicate with us ,only a few when i give him banana. today i opened his cage & tried to take him out but he was scared & bite me very hard. so i gave up for today. i donno when i can gain his trust & how? I am li'l upset of his behavior. :cry:
Farah
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:49 am

Going by the written descriptions given for this species as well as the sub-species, it would be difficult to tell the male from the female without a DNA test. It would be easier if you had both a male and female side by side to compare them with each other, but some of the differences that could be used to tell the difference in their sex could be easily obscured by just the differences in the individual birds, so with this species I would have a DNA sex test done to be sure.

You have only had this bird for about a week and even with a hand raised bird it could easily take a month or longer for the bird to feel comfortable in its new environment and to learn that you do not intend to harm it. The fact that this species of bird is considered to be an aviary bird as opposed to a companion type of bird will cause it to take a bit longer before he/ she will relax and begin to trust you. Aviary type birds can make excellent companion birds but it take a lot more time and effort to gain and maintain their trust and to maintain a good bond. If they do not receive enough one on one physical interaction they tend to revert to a more wild type of behavior. The probability that this bird was wild caught will also make it more difficult and time consuming for you to earn its trust and part of the reason for this is due to the extremely poor conditions that wild caught birds are usually subjected to. At this point in time this bird has no reason to trust you at all. Do not be upset over his current behaviors as they are actually quite normal for a bird that has been through the things that it has been through. It is going to take a lot of patience and time to earn his trust if he is indeed a wild caught bird.

The first thing that I would do is to give him a name, I would choose one that would be good regardless of its sex until such time as a DNA test is done so that you can be certain of the sex. Parrots are given a name by their parents when they hatch in much the same way that we name our children and they carry that name for the rest of their lives just as we do and their name is just as important to them as ours is to us. So name the bird and use this name everytime that you speak to this bird so that it learns its new name as its and knows that you are speaking to it.

In addition to the method of earning the birds trust and hand taming it that is described in my first link in my last response to you, I would make sure that the bird has a perch inside of its cage that is close to your eye level, it will be helpful during the hand taming part of this. I would not be reaching into its cage or asking anything of this bird until it shows you that it is beginning to trust you as described in the first link that I gave you. I would slowly enter the room that the bird is in while talking to it in a calm and coaxing manner and only move as close to the cage as the bird will remain calm at and do not go any closer, but continue to talk to the bird so that it begins to relax at the sound of your voice and begins to look forward to you being there, I would spend as much time as possible in the room talking to the bird and letting it watch you while you hang out there with him and do other things such as reading and perhaps some light cleaning that allows you to move about without being too close to the cage. This will take a lot of time to begin with and when you look at the bird do not look directly at it, use your peripherial vision to watch the bird as this will also help to calm your bird. Predators that are looking for a meal look directly at the bird and that scares it which is why you don't want to look head on at it until it begins to trust you.

I hope that you find this helpful and I hope that I put it in a clear enough manner, but if there is any of this that is not clear enough or you are unsure of what I am saying please feel free to ask me and I will try to make it clearer for you.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Farah » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Thank you so much .actually I tried to feed and get him out of the cage so he bites me very badly .after that he is scared & not interested to eat from my hand.most of the time he is not in his perch & sitting in the corner of the cage & often try to break the cage rod so that he can get out or escape. but whenever I open the door to get him out he doesn't. I can understand it will take time to get his trust as he is wild & may be had bad experiences. I am upset about his training .I just leave him alone to be relaxed. in the mean time I am trying to train my love birds to get out of cage n fly & they did it for the first time.it was not easy to manage but I enjoyed it.

any others short tricks to tame birds,plz let me know.
Farah
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Adult wild-caught birds of aviary species are almost impossible to get to bond with a human and, to tell you the truth, I would not even try because it would be extremely stressful to the poor bird. Look at it from his point of view: he is trapped and taken away from his family and, most likely, also his beloved mate, just to be put in a jail with an alien giant predator as a caregiver... It's not something that would endear us to them, right? If he were mine, I would leave him be. I would put him in a flight cage with natural branches for perches and lots of good food for him to eat and hope that, in time, he would get used to my presence and, as he loses his fear of me, hope that he will start relaxing and learn to trust me. And I say 'trust' only because he will never really love a human but he can learn to trust and accept one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training